Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
City
Chicago
I have a few symptoms like occasional twitching and general muscle atrophy that don't concern me much as I understand these symptoms can be related to many other issues. But I do have a question regarding split hand sign. When I read about split hand, the articles seem to only mention ALS and not other possible issues it could be related to. So my question is... If someone has split hand, does it mean there is a great likelihood that they will get ALS at some time in the future? Or do many people have this without eventually falling to the disease? Thanks for the clarification.

Is it a prognostic sign? No I think the only prognostic signs are ALS FALS mutations and probably rising nfl levels in carriers. Nfl is nonspecific and experimental so less valuable to the general population.

there are other causes of split hand. When you read about an association with ALS it is really in the setting of an already high suspicion Diagnosis is still by clinical exam of which that would be a tiny part and EMG.

if your doctors say you have split hand you should ask them what it means to your case. If they have not confirmed it ask them if you have it

Just to add...

The split-hand sign, one of the early physical symptoms of ALS, refers to a loss of the pincer grasp due to weakness and wasting of two hand muscles — the abductor pollicis brevis (APB) and the first dorsal interosseous (FDI) muscles — located on the side of the thumb.

Nikki, thanks for the response. Do you know the names on any of the other causes of split hand? Unlike twitching which seems to have 1000 different possible reasons, I can't find any other possible reasons for this? I do have mild neuropathy (feet) and a mild case of carpal tunnel, but I'm not finding any connections with split hand and these issues. I have an appt. with my neurologist early February but that doesn't help my stress right now. Any other issues you could mention that are connected with split hand would be appreciated. ....thanks

Cervical problems ,other neuro diseases. Cmt is one I know but there are others. If you haven’t seen the doctor you need them to confirm you even have it

Some other conditions associated with the sign include spinocerebellar ataxia type 3 (SCA3) and autosomal dominant spinal muscular atrophy (SMA). But of course as Nikki says, whether you have it is the first question.

Best,
Laurie

Definitely this is something to discuss with a doctor as you have an examination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back