Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
IT
State
IT
Hi, I have fasciculations since 2 years. I’ 32 , normal weight , i I stopped smoking since 4 years . I have Also on my tongue (a contraction) for 2 seconds and then nothing. Since one week I have dyspnea and a weight on my stomach. I did a chest x-ray and a normal spirometry. The results of spirometry is a small RESTRICTIVE deficit.. I’m scared.. Someone like me?… thank and sorry for my English I’m Italian

Attachments

• 17D1283F-FDC9-4129-8702-E46D66D6074B.jpeg
    17D1283F-FDC9-4129-8702-E46D66D6074B.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 83
  • DED287ED-AAC8-4317-8209-E3F8D2D586CB.jpeg
    DED287ED-AAC8-4317-8209-E3F8D2D586CB.jpeg
    329.4 KB · Views: 87
80 or above in your FVC is considered in the normal range. You're correct. It is mildly restrictive which may be your normal.
If you've never had a spirometry before, the results can change according to time of day, effort, fullness of stomach, and many other reasons.

If you're concerned, the doctor who ordered the test should provide any explanation or reassurance you need.

Thank you for your kind answer! in your opinion, this test is compatible with bulbar als ?
Thank u

Lung function tests show respiratory impairment if any. Yours does not appear significant. Bulbar ALS ultimately entails problems with speaking, eating, drinking, and breathing. You have not described any deficits in this. Tongue twitching is not important without a loss of function. Sometimes a dry mouth or allergies contribute. Sometimes a heavy stomach can be eating foods that do not agree with you. A food diary may help reveal this.

It is very good that you stopped smoking, and every day that you do not smoke is helping your lungs.

To help with your occasional feeling of breathlessness, you could do more walking up hills, starting slowly and working your way up to bigger hills, and also consider an incentive spirometer where you can practice your breathing. Working to reduce stress and get your best sleep will also help. Staying in touch with your GP is always a good idea.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back