guwainengle

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
PA
City
Duncansville
A study by researchers from Mount Sinai School of Medicine identified three proteins that are found in significantly lower concentration in the cerebral spinal fluid of patients with ALS than in healthy individuals. This finding was published in the February 2006 issue of Neurology. Evaluating the levels of these three proteins proved 95% accurate for diagnosing ALS. The three protein markers are TTR, cystatin C, and the carboxyl-terminal fragment of neuroendocrine protein 7B2). These are the first biomarkers for this disease and may be first tools for confirming diagnosis of ALS. With current methods, the average time from onset of symptoms to diagnosis is around 12 months. Improved diagnostic markers may provide a means of early diagnosis, allowing patients to receive relief from symptoms years earlier. [11]

Hope this may interest all-- G

I have ALS 8 years and last year I had a spinal tap and it was clear and normal So whats that say NOTHING as all my test were NEG NEG NEG> Pat

I am scheduled for Nov 6th at the neurophysiology lab with Dr Simmons for a follow up EMG== I am so confused in the fact of symptoms and no conclusion to what the problem is-- One would think after my last visit they may have said a maybe-- Have the given you a possible or anything like that?
G

These three proteins you discussed are most probably not something that is usually checked in spinal fluid, so anyone going for a tap should specifically find out if these proteins are checked. This could be the case with pat. Of course, though, she is very much not a typical case, has only had clean emg's. So, this could be a good test. That would be great!

Annmarie - I have noticed a LOT of spasticity in my right hand lately. I have even had to use my left hand to bend the fingers of my right. I didn't know that my exam showed clonus until I looked it over, after you mentioned it. Keep the faith. And when you go back for your EMG maybe you can ask if those three proteins were checked in your recent tap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back