Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Tampa
Everyone, I am having a bad morning. My left leg is just not working and I fell again last night trying to pick something up. How fast did ALS put you in a wheel chair? My symptoms started in 10/06 and now I am being measured for a wheel chair.

Thanks for the responses.

Good morning, CBowman. I did a search on this forum when I first joined to see what I could expect but the only thing I learned is that the speed varies from person to person. The speed of getting a DX seems to vary as well, so I guess it affects us in similar but different ways, if that makes any sense. People do talk a lot about the difficulty of coping with one loss after another, sometimes in quick succession. I hope the day gets better for you as it goes along! Regards, Cindy

Hi Chad. I use a chair if I'm going to be going more than a few hundred feet. Otherwise I can use a walker. I've been diagnosed more than 3 years. A friend needed a chair 6 months after diagnosis. As Cindy said it sure does vary from person to person. AL.

Thanks Cindy and AL,

My day has gotten better. Thanks for the support.:mrgreen:

CBowman,

Although progression rates vary greatly from person to person, one thing I noticed was a sharp decline in progression rate when I removed stress from my life. After I left my high stress job and learned to live in the moment instead of trying to control everything, I would estimate that my progression slowed to about 5 percent of its former rate.

Mike

quadbliss is right on..

"Since i've calmed down some, rid myself of the stress, quit freaking, there is a noticalbe difference. It's still there, but, just as an iriratant rather than complete life controller..

Your doing the right things by communicating with these people...that's what will help yo cope...they understand what you are going thru.....Also, the chat link i gave you the other day has an awseome group of people and a portion are younger than you.. Do yourself a favor an get in it tomorrow afternoon.

let us know if you need anything...

good luck

My husband was diagnosed in January of '06, and in a wheelchair part time by March (just not enough strength for a walker more than a couple of feet), and full time in the wheelchair by May. So sorry you are going through this. My prayers are with you... Teej

CBowman, I had very first symptoms feb. 05, bad symptoms by Aug.05, but in Jan. 06 symptoms backed off, diagnosed. in June 06, but I'm still walking around fine and no foot drop yet, it's just so different for everyone, but we all end up the same eventually. Barry

CBowman, I started having footdrop dec 05 approx. I have used a walker (hand cane) then progress to walker (falling) now about to be measured for w/c. janf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back