Diagnosis
12/2017
Country
US
State
SC
City
Charleston
Just had to ask all my friends and family to only contact me by text, email, DM, PM as my speech has become so week and slurred people cannot understand me on the phone. Sad day but I knew it would come eventually.

So sorry this has happen to you .Jim lost his voice a year ago. He has a text to speech device , and several boogie boards, he can writes something then just push a button to erase what he has written. Know you can get a speech device from the state at no cost. The wait time was three months unfortunately. This is a long post,but if you served in the military , they will help with everything. Best of luck.

So sorry Warrior. It is a very sad step in the beastly ALS process. There are some people here that will chime in and have advice on equipment. I'm sorry I can't as my PALS never used any. Big hug to you.

In my usual staying ahead of things I have speech assist on my phone and I have eye control on my laptop. It is a free app built into the latest Windows update. It is a beta app and you have to buy the eyetracker 4c from tobii ($150.00). It takes a week to come from Sweden. It has a keyboard, text to speech and a mouse. Not as sophisticated as the full on tobii machine, but it isn't $16 000. I think it would be a good fill in until you get the big tobii, or a back up for when it goes on the fritz.
Vincent

Not nearly as flexible as a Tobii, or similar, but the price is right! $0.00

Balabolka

So sorry this has happen to you .Jim lost his voice a year ago. He has a text to speech device , and several boogie boards, he can writes something then just push a button to erase what he has written. Know you can get a speech device from the state at no cost. The wait time was three months unfortunately. This is a long post,but if you served in the military , they will help with everything. Best of luck.

I am a veteran so all my treatment and equipment are provided by them at no cost to me.

That is great news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back