Reason
Other
Country
US
State
FL
City
Orlando
About two weeks ago I noticed I was having a hard time pronouncing certain words, mainly just “s” sounds. Around that same time I noticed (or simply became more aware) that when swallowing I always had food left in my throat/crumbs making their way back up even hours later. The speech issues seem to come and go - bad for a few hours, then almost nonexistent for a few.

Then a few days ago I started feeling really weak/tired in my throat/under chin area which seems to correspond to the speech issues. But again, as the day goes on it will get worse/seems to be worse with stress and then will back off a bit.

I scheduled an appt with a Neuro and I’m terrified. I have a 1 year old and a 2 year old... and I feel guilty being so scared when so many of you are living this nightmare every day... but I guess I’m looking for some reassurance.

I do have an undiagnosed autoimmune disease (high positive ANA) that has never come to anything.. so part of me wonders if it could be related, but the speech/swallowing/muscle weakness just seems too obviously leaning towards ALS.

The more I read the more I have stated convincing myself this is it.. there’s not other option. I’ve convinced myself my legs/calves are trembling/twitching constantly but it may just be anxiety and hyper awareness. I can only hope.

Please help.

There are many, many possible reasons for speech and swallowing problems, many of them fairly benign and easily managed. ALS would be at the bottom of a long list. Also, ALS symptoms don’t come and go as yours do. Most people with speech issues from ALS will have changes in their speech that are obvious to others.

You’ve worked yourself into a panic and are now convinced that every symptom you experience represents ALS.

Nothing in your post suggests ALS. I’m sure the neuro appointment will be reassuring. If those symptoms persist, you might consider an ENT evaluation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back