Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
GA
Hi all,
First of all, thank you all for your time and sharing your knowledge and experiences. It is greatly appreciated. I am 31 and have recently had a few concerning symptoms that have caused me a little worry. As far as speech symptoms go, is this a typical presentation for bulbar ALS? I have noticed I have difficulty pronouncing some consonant blends at times. Sometimes with “s” sounds or words that end and start with the same letter. Specifically “t”. My husband does not notice slurring but the consonants feel more effortful, like my tongue is heavy. I also notice sometimes when I talk I randomly bite my tongue. Not often but it does happen. Is this a typical early onset sign?

Hi Linda,
What has your doctor said about your speech?
It's pretty wild to go from having trouble with a couple of sounds that no one else notices, to being terminally ill.
There are a few hundred things between the two if you think about it.
Have a good read here, then go see your doctor as someone examining you can give you the best idea of what may or may not be going on.

I agree it may be a stretch. My mind tends to go there. I have not seen a doctor yet. I guess I wanted to hear from people who potentially had a similar experience to see if a doctor’s visit was warranted.

One last question-
I have read an early symptom can be “heavy tongue.” Can someone describe this to me please? My tongue feels dry and more heavy/thick which causes perceived slurring at times. Not all the time. Is early ALS slurring all the time/consistently or is it just a few times daily? I really don’t want to go down the rabbit hole of googling because that is causing me more stress. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

No, my husband has never experienced what you are describing; he fels nothing in his tongue. His slurred speech is all day, but even worse when he's tired. He has no idea he is slurring but the docs, me, and our friends can all hear it. You really need to take your concerns to your doc so he can examine you. You're asking medical questions to strangers on the web instead of going to see your doc first. That could be dangerous if someone gives you some really off medical advice.

my husband was bulbar onset and in typical fashion first symptoms were not about 'feeling' things like a heavy tongue.
Please keep working with your doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back