Speak! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
speak

Wow! That is marvelous. Thanx for the info.

very interesting article. my first time to visit u-tube. so many cruel people. do any have a clue what its like to not be able to communicate?

YEAH ... that is exactly what I had in mind that us bulbar types need! (Do you suppose I "sent" my thoughts to these scientists?)

But ... if our brain's neurons are damaged or kaput, will the devics read/speak the damaged signals or the correct ones? Maybe it can !?! My brain is still "speaking correctly." It is my tongue, lips, cheeks, etc. that can't do the job.

(But ... how come my brain is still speaking correctly? If my brain's neurons are damaged, how can I still "think" words correctly?)

Anyway, I'm ready to mortgage the house to get one of those. He said they're available "by the end of the year." THIS year?

Thank you, Shawn! Oh, my!

(Robins ... welcome to the forum. You won't find "cruel people" here. Most people I meet online or in person are just clueless, not cruel ... but I'm sure they're out there, too)

Last edited:
wow, that's pretty cool!

It is pretty nifty! I can't figure out how it works, though. Can someone explain it to me- preferably in kindergarten-speak? :grin: Cindy

OK ... I couldn't get a mortgage, so I came up with questions instead.

If this really works, why is it not in 60 pt headlines in every paper on the planet?

I second Cindy M ... how the hell does it work? Our brain sends actual "words" or "sentences" to our vocal cords? It's my understanding from speech theraphy that our brain is sending instructions all over ... for each sound, a different signal has to be sent to each part of the mouth ... the tongue has to move a certain way, lips have to perform something different, cheeks have to do something else. And in ALS, the signals don't get through correctly.

I'm afeared this is an early April Fool's prank ... but on the off-chance ... I hope to read more about this.

I won't say it does or doesn't work but I'd like more information.

There are a few things that make me question it overall and especially for ALS patients.

First, the tongue and mouth are what make the sounds of speech. The vocal cords are just like the reeds on a saxophone. Open your mouth, stick out your tongue and try to say, "Hello, how are you?", I'll bet no one understands you. There are several nerves which run through or near that area which control the tongue and mouth. I do believe it is or at least will be possible at some point to decipher the signals from the brain to the nerves.

Second, the nerves which control the tongue, lips, soft palate and other parts responsible for turning the sound our vocal cords make into intelligible sounds are from what I can tell the VII (Facial), IX (glossopharyngeal), X (vagus) and XII (hypoglossal) cranial nerves. Each of these can be affected by ALS and most likely are in those with bulbar symptoms. Even if this device has managed to decode the signals what happens in an ALS patient when those nerves are damaged?

I believe it is highly possible that they "dumbed" down their explanation of how it works but even so I question the validity of all their claims. I also don't believe this will be of any use to those with bulbar symptoms but that is my lay opinion and nothing more.

alright, I'm not going to mortgage anything, but here's my 2 cents:

Since the guy KNEW what the questions were to be asked, could it be, on the off chance, that the device was already programmed? I'm not being skeptical at all, I just thought about that this morning!
-brenda

It's real alright! :)

I just called Texas Instruments, looooooong story short it was made in conjunction with Ambient Corporation and the product name is "Audeo".
Just go to: www.theaudeo.com, you can even click on a box in the lower left corner and fill out a form to try and Audeo yourself! THIS IS AMAZING!

Here is a direct quote from a PAL:
The "AUDEO" will give me
the thing I need more than
anything else; the ability
to talk to my children.

Dave (age 41, diagnosed with ALS in 2004)

OK ... thanks Suzanni ! Good info. But the quote: "The "AUDEO" will give me the thing I need ..." is in the future tense. It doesn't say, "Has given me ..."

But still ... even if this doesn't work for PALS, it is exciting to me that somebody, somewhere is thinking along the lines of helping ALS patients. And I do happen to believe in Santa, so the timing's right. :)

Me too! If you go the their site and read their Mission Statement, they specifically want to help PALS. I can only image that this impacted them on a personal level in some way, and now they have chosen to use their genius to help as much as possible . . .and so far their ideas / technology is mind-blowing! :)

hey suzann,
thanks so much! I hope I didn't sound skeptical, I just am so glad to have more info! I'll go to the site tonight after work,
take care,
brenda

i filled in the form on Friday, hoping they might consider a Canadian!
I am glad I am not the only one who watches Star Trek! :razz:
cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back