Speak! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey everyone,
I just filled out the form online-crossing my fingers!

brenda

Hi, I WANT one...if it REALLY works..I HATE not being able to speak...but I am in London UK...an interesting one to watch...please keep us all updated...

I wasn't being skeptical, since the video promoted this as a way to hold cell phone conversations in public without actually using your voice. It would be nice if they were thinking of PALS who can no longer speak, but let's face it: there is a bigger market for cell phone users who don't want everyone listening to their conversations.

I still want to know how it works, though. And I do hope it will work for PALS. The fact they plan to mass-market it might (hopefully) mean it will be affordable.

. . . Just wanted to revive the thread a bit and make sure everyone sees it. . .Also, did anyone hear back from the company yet or better yet, actually get an Audeo?

glad you brought it back suzann,

Nope, haven't heard a word, I'll get the phone no. this time,
brenda

. . . Just wanted to revive the thread a bit and make sure everyone sees it. . .Also, did anyone hear back from the company yet or better yet, actually get an Audeo?

I heard back from them...here is the reply..less one link they put in

Thank you for your continued interest and support in Ambient and the Audeo technology. We apologize for the delay in responding to your email. We are in the process of updating our website for a more timely response time and to keep you as informed about the Audeo as possible.

We would appreciate hearing what you want from the Audeo. If you have a moment, please help us with the following survey:

1. Is this device intended for you or someone else? If someone else, please provide their name, age, gender, city and state).
2. Have you ever used other assistive technology for ALS (Example: Dynavox, headmouse…etc)?
3. If so, what has that experience been like? For how long have you used this device?
4. What determines your choice in choosing/switching to the Audeo?
5. What price would you pay for the Audeo (out of pocket)?
6. Would you rather be able to say anything but have it take longer OR say fewer phrases faster?
7. What is the most important thing for you regarding assistive communication technology?
8. How did you hear about us?
Ambient made some big strides toward getting the Audeo ready for large market selling to locked-in ALS patients. We have had a much better testing response as our software continues to improve. As we monitor in-progress testing, we anticipate around one-hundred available devices to the ALS market in the very near future. We will definitely keep everyone updated on how they can order/pre-order their device in the next month or so.
Fine-tuning the software component of the Audeo continues to be one of our biggest challenges. While we continue to look for the best and brightest talent to help, it is hard to recruit in these tough economic times. We kindly ask you to send anyone who has a passion for helping people who need this technology the most to our career link on our website.
Our hardware department also made a big leap forward in December. We were able to create a device roughly the size of an inch long and a few centimeters wide. We are still testing various adhesives to get rid of the small strap that holds the device on. We have found some that work, but may cause irritation in some patients; we also found some that would stick to concrete (!), and some that would not hold at all. It is still a trial and error development.
In other exciting news, Ambient and the Audeo will be featured in an hour long special on the History Channel. The producers there saw the Audeo as "history in the making". An entire crew came here to Champaign, Illinois for 13 hours of asking Michael Callahan, Co-Founder and CEO, questions and demos. We were given an estimated air date of mid-year 2009. We will be sure to keep you updated on that status.

If you have any exciting news you would like to share with Ambient, please don't hesitate to contact us. The feedback we get from patients and caregivers is the best way we can continue to make the Audeo better

Audeo Update

I completed a request for Audeo device back in June 2008 for my husband. At that time they told me they were not selling or distributing the product, but expected to have something available by end of the year (2008).

I asked for a status update from them this week after I saw this thread revived.

Here is the response I received from them today (emphasis added by me :smile: ):
-----------------------------------------
Ambient Support Team to lisa 2:06 PM (27 minutes ago) Reply

fromAmbient Support Team
dateFri, Jan 23, 2009 at 2:06 PM
subjectRe: Order Form

Happy New Year!

We hope everyone had an enjoyable and safe holiday season. In between good cheer and family gatherings, Ambient made some big strides toward getting the Audeo ready for large market selling to locked-in ALS patients.

We have had a much better testing response as our software continues to improve. As we monitor in-progress testing, we anticipate around one-hundred available devices to the ALS market in the very near future. We will definitely keep everyone updated on how they can order/pre-order their device in the next month or so.

Our software team leader Ethan Berl says, "In the last few months we have made major progress in the software that will one day allow Audeo users to say whatever they want". Some of the major progresses coming from the software team are:
• SHORT CUT KETS = More flexibility allowing users to pick phrases they want to use often
• EXPANDED VOCABULARY = Ability to sound out any word the user wants
• SOUND FEEDBACK = For patients who have trouble seeing a computer screen

Ethan says, "As we learn more about the nature of the technology through testing feedback here in Champaign and in Maine, we can make better hardware and software to make the Audeo easier to control. One day soon users may be able to truly speak their mind".

Fine-tuning the software component of the Audeo continues to be one of our biggest challenges. While we continue to look for the best and brightest talent to help, it is hard to recruit in these tough economic times. We kindly ask you to send anyone who has a passion for helping people who need this technology the most to our career link on our website.

Our hardware department also made a big leap forward in December. We were able to create a device roughly the size of an inch long and a few centimeters wide. We are still testing various adhesives to get rid of the small strap that holds the device on. We have found some that work, but may cause irritation in some patients; we also found some that would stick to concrete (!), and some that would not hold at all. It is still in trial and error development.

In other exciting news, Ambient and the Audeo will be featured in an hour long special on the History Channel. The producers there saw the Audeo as "history in the making". An entire crew came here to Champaign, Illinois for 13 hours of asking Michael Callahan, Co-Founder and CEO, questions and demos. We were given an estimated air date of mid-year 2009. We will be sure to keep you updated on the time and date.

If you have any exciting news you would like to share with Ambient, please don't hesitate to contact us. The feedback we get from patients and caregivers is the best way we can continue to make the Audeo better.

Yours In Health in 2009!
Kimberly Beals
Corporate Communications
Ambient
109 W. Goose Alley
Urbana, IL 61801

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back