Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
FL
Hi Everyone.
Full disclosure, I have a history of health anxiety and I want to fully disclose that. For the last 2 months I have been nervous I have ALS. I am on Zoloft and have a therapist who is working with me and recently increased my dose to 100mg. I have been working really hard to assure myself that my symptoms are the result of my anxiety and medication but do not want to dismiss them if they warrant a trip to the doctor so I wanted to ask.

I have had body wide fasciculations for the last 2 months. I am an avid runner. One month ago mid run my left leg suddenly tensed up making it hard to run. I had to stop and walk, and was able to finish the run but it kept tensing up which has never happened to me before. I was able to convince myself that I was hyper focusing on that leg which is what caused it.

The same thing happened to me two days ago (one month later) my leg completely tensed up mid run. I took walk breaks and finished the run trying to distract myself from hyper focusing on it but it did tense up uncontrollably. Now my leg is very sore. It was not a standard muscle cramp as it didn’t hurt it was just controllably tense.

Does this sound like spasticity and something I should see my doctor about? I do not want to go to the doctor when I know I’m fully capable of feeling symptoms due to my anxiety and the thought of going really scares me to be honest. But I do not want to NOT go if this sounds concerning to anyone.

Thank you so much.

I have no idea what happened those 2 times but two episodes a month apart of whatever triggered by running certainly don’t sound like ALS to me We always say if you have a concern see your doctor. I rather think they will examine you shrug and say don’t worry but if you considered it worth creating an account and posting I would think you would want an actual medical opinion

Always seek advice and examination from your doctor, rather than internet.
All the best.

If you do not want to go to the doctor after the fact, you could do a telehealth visit that may reassure you.

SSRIs can affect sleep, so it's possible that the new dose will take some getting used to or might need dialing down if symptoms persist.

I agree that I see no reason to think of ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back