Other
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Bowmanville
Hi everyone,

I'm a 23 year old female, and for the past 2 weeks I've noticed I've been having spasticity in my left foot. Whenever I'm relaxing my muscle, my toes will bend, or separate, or my whole foot will move. There's no pain, it really just feels like my foot is moving, except I'm not doing it voluntarily. I've also noticed I've been having random twitches throughout my body, but they're not as consistent as the spasticity in my foot is.

My walking is fine and I don't feel any weakness anywhere, but I'm very concerned that the spasticity is localized. I'm also aware that since I'm young it is statistically unlikely for me to have ALS, however it's also not impossible. I've scheduled an appt. with my GP for next week, but in the meantime I can't stop worrying.

I understand that no one can diagnose me via the internet, but I'd appreciate any insight as to whether I should bring up a concern of ALS to my doctor or not.

Thank you so much for reading this, and I really appreciate any feedback.

>I've scheduled an appt. with my GP for next week, but in the meantime I can't stop worrying

that is the right thing to do. take ALS off of your list, relax, see your doctor, and listen to him not the internet :) ...

Max

I have found that many GP's don't really understand ALS. For instance mine had me walk on my toes and heels as a test-well I can still do that and I have ALS-it didn't start in my feet first.
If you are really concerned see a neurologist, especially one at an ALS clinic-they are trained to look for this disease and will do an EMG, which is the gold standard for diagnosis.
Meanwhile, as Max has stated, "take ALS off of your list, relax, see your doctor, and listen to him not the internet"
It is highly unlikely you have ALS, and even if you did, knowing would have no effect on the outcome as there is no effective treatment. Assume you don't, it will make your life much more bearable in the meantime.

I have the very same thing in my foot! My toes will separate on their own and then cramp up. It usually happens after I've been exercising a lot. And twitching happens to everybody, and especially people who worry about this disease. That is proven - anxiety and stress driven. You don't remotely sound like you have ALS. See your doctor and then stay away from sites like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back