Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uni
State
Maryland
City
gb
Hi everyone I have been having spasms and cramps in my left bicep for about two months now. I recently went to my general care doctor. The spasms and twitching only happens about ten times a day for about 5 seconds at a time. But my arm is cramped up almost everyday and feels weaker then normal. I have had my blood work done and the only thing that kind of came back low was b12, but it was still 230. Which is a normal level. I go for an emg on my arm in two weeks. Should I be worried about als? I'm only 24. Did anyone start out like this or any ideas of what could cause this for such a long period of time?

I hear nothing that sounds like ALS.

Twitching in one bicep is a long way from widespread, acute and chronic denervation (the hallmark of ALS).

And "feels weaker than normal" is a long way from clinical weakness.

Nota doctor, but sounds more like a local nerve problem--pinched nerve, etc.

NICK: Dusty is right. There's no ALS there. Maybe the EMG will pick up some pinched nerve.

That's what I was thinking too. I just don't get why I'm doing an emg before an ex- Ray or MRI.

Hopefully, the EMG will locate the pinched nerve if that is what it is. And if it is, hopefully it can be treated before it gets worse.

If it's not a pinched nerve, the EMG may give the neuro more info about what it is; e.g., peripheral neuropathy, etc.

If it looks like it might be a radiculopathy (pinched nerve root in the spine), then MRI will be the next step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back