Status
Not open for further replies.
So does this sound like good news?

Also had hyper reflexes.....forgot to add that.

You sound just like me but I'm eight months in and still don't know a thing. When is your EMG scheduled? Mine showed nothing abnormal except for reinnervation that was not chronic and no denervation. This is supposedly because of Carpal Tunnel. How did the neuro judge your weakness?

Hi and thanks for the reply.
My EMG is scheduled in a week with MRI the following day.
The doctor did several strength tests ; pushing on my arms, legs etc. About 19 different tests like that. Good to hear your EMG was basically clean.
My impression of what he said was that it was not ALS, but of course I am still concerned.
He said I was too old to present with MS, but that he had seen cases in my age group before (50).
I think Carpal Tunnel could be a pat of my problem, but I have the weakness twitches an PAIN wide-spread.
Does this sound like it could be ALS?

Just to clarify...you say "Twitching all over is not a sign of ALS"...is this based on your experience or in general? If true...why does everyone with BFS worry about twitching?

Another question.....a member here stated "from what I've learned, clean EMGs, no ALS. They don't lie, and they'll be "dirty" long before you notice symptoms.". Does everyone agree with this, a I have read differing opinions?
I have not had my EMG yet.

I heartily agree.
Clean EMG, no ALS.
That's the way Physicians who are experts in Neuromuscular diseases determine if you have ALS, by a "dirty" EMG but...coupled with findings during the Clinical Exam such as Hyperreflexia, Bilateral Ankle Clonus, Babinski Sign, etc.

Hope this helps.

NH

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll be having the EMG soon. I think it will show something, but not necessarily ALS. My arm weakness is progressing. My back pain is also progressing so I'm thinking it could possibly be nerve related even though I have no fractures or herniation as of last month.

The WAITING is so horrible with this class of disease. I don't understand why people have to wait so long for an MRI and/or EMG after seeing a neurologist.

I have subsequently seen my GP and he thinks my weakness is just that....weakness...from inactivity, back problems and age.
Could it be that simple?

The Neurologist did say I had more weakness on the right side, but does that mean CLINICAL weakness?
So many questions.

I've also read that body-wide twitches are uncommon with ALS.....but then some say it isn't.
I know I should just wait, but talking with others who know more about these diseases is very helpful.

Thank you.

Hi
Had EMG and the doctor said it was "good except for one place in my leg". I'm fairly certain he said "one nerve".
I asked if he was thinking "ALS" and he said no I'm not thinking ALS, AND we need more tests. So does "no" mean "no" ALS for sure?

Is there a difference between a problem in the EMG (I had none) and a problem in the NCS (I had one)?

I think I read that the NCS was something different than ALS related stuff, but I am so overwhelmed by reading all the information.
Any help would be appreciated.

Am I looking at a nerve problem and not an ALS problem?

Hi,

You might be looking for an specific nerve problem which is by NO means ALS.
It could be something else but treatable such as a pinched nerve, a neuropathy, etc.
Just stay calm and take it easy.

NH

That sounds reassuring...thank you. The weird thing is my arm weakness and body-wide twitches were my symptom. I had no idea there was a nerve problem in my leg. But I'll take it! He tested one arm and one leg (right side). My arms were clean which is a great relief.

Had MRI of the brain and cervical spine today. Of course I don't now the results yet.

My only leg symptoms are some weakness and arthritic "wear and tear" knees, but nothing compared to the noodles that my arms have become. He said they tested normal though.....although he noticed some weakness on my right side in his office exam. He said it was weaker than my left side...and I am right dominant.

If I can rule out ALS.....the mental part will be much easier while I'm waiting.

My rational mind tells me how rare ALS is but I...like many here tend to gravitate to the worst. Arm weakness (bilateral) is a scary thing!
I'm ignoring the twitching pretty well.

Thanks NH.

Just read a piece that stated that nerve damage can be caused by something as simple as tight fitting clothing or by crossing ones legs!
There are SO many things these symptoms can mean.....I think this site here is a wonderful source of info but also a source of many unfounded fears. I am thankful to have learned this lesson.
ALS is RARE.......MS is more prevalent but there are so many much more common problems that muscle/nerve symptoms can be.
I pray for those who are truly afflicted but hope that the 99.9% here who do not have these NMD's can find some solace in this .
We should really focus on getting funding for research about these diseases and for better ways to care for those who have it!

Mischief Managed!

Update:
Heard from neurologist today. My head MRI was normal and my Cervical Spine MRI showed a disc problem. Something has slipped and ruptured and is pressing on my spinal cord. He says this is the reason for my bilateral arm weakness.
So it appears that Osteoporosis is the culprit and he said he is not thinking ALS now and has definitely ruled out MS.
So for those of you who have had abnormal clinical exams and abnormal EMG studies....it does not necessarily mean a NMD.
I will see the neurologist again and a neck surgeon.
Thanks to everyone for their replies and advice.

Whew! Glad it's not ALS!

You see?
I was right all along when I was telling you it wasn't ALS.
I'm happy for you because that's treatable unless ALS that has no cure.

Good luck to you.

NH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back