Ej1982

Country
US
State
ma
City
everett
Hi everyone,
I'm a 28 year old male. About a month and half ago I noticed a tremor in both hands. For two weeks I didn't think to much about it, but then I noticed that it got worst when I was tired or stressed. So I decided to see my gp, he said it was probably stress. All my reflexes and motor skills were fine. About a week after I saw him I figured hey let me check the internet see what it has to say (mistake). Came across als in my search ever since I have been going crazy with worry. It got so bad I had a panic attack, went back to the doc he decided to put me on celexa. Been on for two weeks and I'm still a mess. Started feeling weakness in my left arm recently, I get fatigued doing things at work that just two months ago were no problem. But here is the real scary symptom that started recently,slurred speech (perceived?) no one has noticed but me, girlfriend swears see doesn't hear it. Also odd feeling in my jaw like it is sore after eating. Some numbness (no other way to describe it) around my mouth and chin. Has anyone ever experienced similar symptoms? Have an appt. with euro in a month, I'm just really scared and need some advice. Everyone I know keeps telling me it's just anxiety but to me it feels like there is a serious problem going on.

Any and all advice appreciated,
Thank you
Ej

Well you know your body...but doesn't sound like symptoms got worse till you went searching around on the internet for answers. Sounds like a big case of anxiety/stress/fatigue to me. Numbness- loss of sensation does not happen in ALS. Soreness in jaw- maybe get checked out for TMJ by dentist..but this also doesn't follow ALS. Your refelxes were fine, dr. says your fine, you are most likely....fine. Good luck to you.

Feel like a putz for posting before reading stickys. I'm just worried is all especially this whole speech thing. Thanks for the quick reply.

Yup. Please go read the stickies now....it will help with your worries.

EJ,
Don't feel bad. I have the exact same thing happening to me along with difficulty swallowing, sore throat, and some facial twitches. I am more scared than I have ever been in my life. I wish you the best.

Thanks AR, it's really scary when you don't know whats wrong with your body. We always expect the worst, trouble is sometimes our minds won't even let us hope for the best. Hang in there.

Have an appt. with euro in a month, I'm just really scared and need some advice. Everyone I know keeps telling me it's just anxiety but to me it feels like there is a serious problem going on.

Stop reading about very rare diseases on the Internet. They are very rare diseases because very few people have them. Stick to reading about things you have a chance of actually having, like a very large dose of self-induced anxiety.

None of what you report sounds anything like ALS. Not one thing. Tremors are not a symptom of ALS. Getting tired easily is not ALS weakness. Soreness in your jaw is not a symptom of bulbar ALS and will probably go away when you stop testing the strength of your lips and tongue.

If you have a panic attack over reading about a very rare disease on the Internet, that's the problem you should concentrate on dealing with. Get yourself to a psychiatrists and get some help for that anxiety. I imagine all your other symptoms will go away once you deal with the biggest problem.

Good luck.

I have learned here that trfogey really does know what he's talking about. He is super smart and you probably do just have anxiety. I know there is something not right with me but I am just going to pray really hard for myself and all of the great folks here that have taken their time to answer my questions. Good luck at your neuro appointment EJ.

Sound like als/mnd?

No.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I've also noticed a scallop tongue which just fuels my concern. Suppose I really just have to stop worrying till I get these tests done. The mind has total power over the body, hope I'm just making these symptoms appear because of my stress/anxiety.

EJ,
sorry for butting in again on this board because really i dont know anything as i have no diagnosis and i am new here. I just want you to know that you are not alone. I know exactly how you feel. I wish I could think of something to say to make you feel better. The odds are in your favor that it is anxiety. Just try to hang on until your neuro appt and pray pray pray. That's what I am doing. One thing I tell myself for comfort is this (not sure if you have any kids or not but...) , Probably every parent that has ever lost a child would do anything to have taken their place so, I get comfort in knowing that if I am sick with no cure at least it will be me and not one of my children some people would pay money for that chance - a chance to lay down their life to bring a child back. If you don't have kids well look at it this way, we are all dying, life is terminal for everyone. Sorry if this is a depressing response but these things help me enjoy my day wether this is my last day or i have lots more. no one ever really knows. just pray and try to enjoy. im trying really hard.

"The mind has total power over the body"

This is so true. There is a way to calm your fears the same way you conjure them. With the mind. Your symptoms do not indicate ALS so don't fret about that. Find out what it really is and fix it. Take care!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back