Diagnosis
08/2013
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Mansfield
I never really had a dad, I mean he was there physically but thats about it! About three years ago my mom met a man, a man who is now a very important person in mine and my kids' lives. He is the kindest most caring man that I have ever had in my life! I love him as if he were my dad, unfortunately about 2 months ago he was diagnosed with ALS. They took off as soon as they found out and made a 6 week trip across the US! They just got back Thursday and boy he has gone downhill. He is still walking but not well. He has no use in his left arm and the right arm is almost gone now. He fell twice last week for the first time. My mom and I have decided to take care of him in his home as long as we can. We have no other help, he has no family besides us and I know it is going to be hard. He is almost 300 lbs and I am so scared about moving him to and from chairs, toilets etc. We are going next week to get our CNA Cert. I am so sorry that everyone is here. ALS has really tore our lives upside down. It is the worst disease! I pray that we can find a cure someday soon! No one should ever have to go through this kind torture! Don is participating in a clinical trial in Columbus Ohio. Don says he doesn't plan on getting any type of medical intervention, he is more concerned about quality than quantity. I feel like he is going downhill fast. His symptoms started Nov of 2012 and it is effecting all of his limbs now. This is a hard pill to swallow. I am sorry for rambling on. I just feel like I need to talk.

So truly sorry to meet you in this way too, but this exclusive club is a great life support system.

I'm in a similar situation, finally met the man of my dreams, not even 4 years ago, married him less than 2.5 years ago, and one year later he started talking funny ...

Now he is rapidly deteriorating, and my kids are feeling the effects a lot too even though none of them live closer than about 3 hours drive from us.

It's a cruel disease, we all hate it, but we love our PALS and we support each other here. Rant away, we all understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back