Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
BR
State
MG
City
OB
Hi guys, first I want to apologize for my bad english (Im from Brazil). I'm 24 years oldand I've been having twitches all over my body for about 3 months with intense days and some better ones and it started to scare me when i commit the big mistake of searching the symptom on google... I started feeling weakness on legs (most probably somatizing) and had the feeling of walking in a different way. I searched for a Doctor and he made me do an MRI and it was all clear, but he didn't do a clinical exam, and it made me find another doctor. When I came to this second one and told him i was having trouble swallowing saliva e solids and having this "weakness" and twitching. He asked me if I was shocking constantly (answear was no) and if I was feeling twitches in my tongue (also no) and did the clynical exam and everithing was normal. To make me calm down he asked for an EMG of Superior and Inferior limbs but not for the bulbar. I did the exam and everything was clear. So i got Covid-19, started feeling weak and twitches were happening more constantly and it made me worry when I looked at my tongue in the mirror (I know i shouldn't be doing that) and it was kinda twitching when in rest position, but i couldn't feel it and it was not constant (Don't know if thats because I can't stay with the tongue in rest position for long time or something like that, or if it is normal). It made me think I have Bulbar ALS, some days were better and others were worse. I have no problem on speaking clearly, but my whistle is a little strange (it's trembling like i can't maintain it for a little while) and Im starting to feel an annoying sensation when I swallow liquids like it is going to come out of my nose (but it never did and i don't know if thats the properly way to explain the sensation). So, my questions are:
1) Those twitches on the tongue in the rest position that you don't feel and are not constant is something to worry about?
2) The whistle is something that I can be concerned about?
3) Should I return to a doctor to ask for a Bulbar EMG?
4) The swallowing sensation is sothing that happens with people with ALS without tongue weakness?

One more time I want to apologize to bother you guys with questions that I have no idea if are stupid or not. I wish the best o luck for all of you and I truly hope that researchers find a way out of this disease as soon as they can. God bless you all.

What you describe is very common with dry mouth/throat, GERD, and/or allergies -- as well as a serious virus like COVID-19. A nasal steroid, keeping a food/symptom diary, and a throat spray are all things you might consider trying. Ramping up exercise slowly and getting plenty of rest are also important.

You do not have to worry about ALS, and there is no reason to do a bulbar EMG. If you had something like ALS, the limb EMG would have shown problems. If swallowing problems continue or worsen, it is worth seeing an ENT to make sure there is nothing else to think about.

Best,
Laurie

I really aprecciate your answear!! Thank you so much. About The Covid-19, it was more than a month before, that's why the fasciculations and the different feeling while swallowing liquids scares me that much, because when I searched on Google about the twitchings als was the first result. When people with Als starts having trouble while swallowing, the tongue is already with other symptons like weakness? Even on the bulbar? Have a nice day.

ALS, even bulbar forms, does not present as you have described, no. There's a lot we don't know about the aftereffects of Covid in different people. I am not saying that is the sole cause, but it is a possible contributor even with the elapsed time of a month. So again, I would look into the GERD, allergies, and dry mouth possibilities as well.

A good night's sleep is also very important. When you spend your time Googling, it's very likely that you're not getting one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back