Reason
PALS
Country
uni
State
unknown
City
unknown
I do not want to call the doctor again, but I have this tightness in my chest that comes after eating. Does this have to do with trouble swallowing or is this something else?

Hope all is well as can be with everyone. Jamie- have you heard anything yet?

Hi pldo. Are you taking Rilutek? It can give you indigestion which sometimes feels like a tightness in your chest.
AL.

Hi PLDO,
Something else you might want to consider is the possibility of you having spasms of the esophagus after eating. I have had these for years and sometimes they get real bad and almost feel like a heart attack.

When this happens I drink small sips of water, tea, etc. it seems to help calm the spasms, and after about 10 minutes they go away.

I also have been on nexium long term to help reduce the acid reflux that aggravates the same area.

I hope this helps.

God Bless
Capt AL

I just googles spasms and those are my exact symptoms- the trouble swallowing, the pain like a heart attack. It happens especially after cold foods. Is nexium only a prescription? I thank you all for your help.

I haven't heard nothing yet, i called today, they said my results were not in yet.....i know that's bs, that they rec'd the microscope reports..? dont' know how to say terminology, but i know the pathology takes 4 weeks. She said the doctor wanted to see me again in 4 weeks......hmmm.........sounds to me, as if things were normal, they would tell you straight off.

I had a barium test in aug 2006 and my diag. was heital hernia, but they also said my esophagus was very spactic........

nexium is a prescription, but if you call your doc, he will likely issue one with no questions. Also, there is alot of over the counter that will work. I eat alot of tums, as they help with the twitching. Mike told me that and it does help, i think.

try to focus on moving forward with life. take things one day at a time......enjoy the precious moments with your family.....ALS or not.

Rgds,

Jamie

Pldo - Spasms of the esophagus are common, so don't get worried that it is a symptom of als. My mom has suffered from esophageal spasms for 20 years and has to have her esophagus dilated about every six months now. They give her acid reflux meds, like the Nexium, so that the acid doesn't make things worse. She has had severe choking episodes and even had to go by ambulance because of the spasms. Have you had all the blood work with magnesium and potassium checked?

Jamie,

Sorry that you have not heard anythng definate! I hate how doctors make you wait and wait. I have been trying to enjoy more and worry less.

Biopsy

It did take four weeks to get Timothy's Biopsy. The Doctor can't give you the results until he/she gets them back.
I am not a big fan of Doctor's either. Timothy nor I like his MDA/ALS Doctor!

Lorie

Jamiet said:
I haven't heard nothing yet, i called today, they said my results were not in yet.....i know that's bs, that they rec'd the microscope reports..? dont' know how to say terminology, but i know the pathology takes 4 weeks. She said the doctor wanted to see me again in 4 weeks......hmmm.........sounds to me, as if things were normal, they would tell you straight off.

I had a barium test in aug 2006 and my diag. was heital hernia, but they also said my esophagus was very spactic........

nexium is a prescription, but if you call your doc, he will likely issue one with no questions. Also, there is alot of over the counter that will work. I eat alot of tums, as they help with the twitching. Mike told me that and it does help, i think.

try to focus on moving forward with life. take things one day at a time......enjoy the precious moments with your family.....ALS or not.

Rgds,

Jamie

Jamie are you seeing Dr.Appel at methodist?
I can't say enough good things about Dr Harati and his hotties at Baylor. I had my biopsy results back in 2 weeks.

Wes

Wes...

I thought Baylor and Methodist were the same and that they had consolidated teams?

Yes, it's Dr. Appell's group, i see Dr. Simpson.

how did they give you your results? did they call you or make you go back in for appt? How did they tell you that you "have ALS"? Did they tell you over the phone or bring you in?

Dr. Appell's got a few hotties also...lol......the one holding my hand.....was of course..named Jessica (same as my wife)....i told her this was the only time my wife would allow me to hold another woman's hand and not make me pay for it by ...let's see....taking my children....taking all my money....taking the house....making me live on the street......and you name the other host of reasons why it's "cheaper to keep'em".....lol

The poor little girl...which she was very cute...told me after the biopsy that no one had ever held her hand like that....I think what she meant was that i had just sqeezed the crap out of her hand and it really hurt....!...lol

rgds,

Jamie

Personally speaking, if a doctor called me on the phone to tell me I had ALS I would think he was an insensitive b#st$%d. Face me and tell me, not on the phone. That is really cheesy. I'd get a new doctor if he did that. Obviously he would not be a caring individual. Just my opinion.
AL.

Jamiet said:
Wes...

I thought Baylor and Methodist were the same and that they had consolidated teams?

Yes, it's Dr. Appell's group, i see Dr. Simpson.

how did they give you your results? did they call you or make you go back in for appt? How did they tell you that you "have ALS"? Did they tell you over the phone or bring you in?

Dr. Appell's got a few hotties also...lol......the one holding my hand.....was of course..named Jessica (same as my wife)....i told her this was the only time my wife would allow me to hold another woman's hand and not make me pay for it by ...let's see....taking my children....taking all my money....taking the house....making me live on the street......and you name the other host of reasons why it's "cheaper to keep'em".....lol

The poor little girl...which she was very cute...told me after the biopsy that no one had ever held her hand like that....I think what she meant was that i had just sqeezed the crap out of her hand and it really hurt....!...lol

rgds,

Jamie

Jamie,

I'm not sure if they are consolidated or not. I have the impression they are not.
I got my results face to face. They were already pretty sure I had ALS after my EMG and other symptoms. They then did a biopsy from my left thigh, mine didn't hurt. Maybe I didn't feel it because Dr Lindsay, one of the hotties did the procedure:-D . That cemented it. Official Dx 30 Aug '06, my 44th birthday.

Take care,
Wes

It is so wierd that after I had my daughter I have had all these symptoms- I had a lot of them during the pregnancy and the docs all told me that it was normal pregnancy stuff. . . but now it is almost 7 months later and I have not had a day where I have felt completely well. It is the noy knowing what is killing me- the doctors said not als- pinched nerve, anxiety, post-pregnancy hormones . . . '

Thank you guys for sharing your experiences- it makes me feel like I am not crazy :)

Reply to PLBO

Caring a child can put a strain on your back! A pinched nerve can cause these symptoms.
Have you had an MRI?

I agree with AL, I(it seems as usual!). I would definetly get another Doc. if he gave me that kind of diagnosis over the phone. The most I can get from my Doc's. over the phone is results from blood work such as Cholesterol Levels! I would ditch him and get another one! The heartless B______'s! Figure that one out!

We need to bring ALS out of the Shadow and into the Light!

Lorie:)

My GP was the one who said it sounds like that on the phone- when I went to the EMory ALS clinic they said it was most likely not ALS- almost 100 percent sure of it- but I am going back for testing later in July (An EMG/MRI) to see if it is a pinched nerve. I just wish that I would know what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back