00/0000
Country
UK
State
WY
City
Keighley
Hi All,

First of all I'd like to apologise for asking as I know you prob get 1000's of people asking the same questions over and over and as you have all already got this terrible disease It must be hard having to re-tread the same ground again and again.

I know first and foremost I should be going to the doctors (which I am tomorrow).

I just wanted your advice on my symptoms so I will list them below;

Twitches
I have twitches all over my body but mainly in my left leg. I get them in my forearms, calfs, feet, hands, chest and face. As mentioned the twitches mainly occur in my left leg either in my calf or foot.

I also have what I would call 'Jerks' where my foot/arm will jerk slightly rather then twitch. This isn't a massive jerk but it's noticable to me.

Pain
For the last few years I have on occasion woken with a very stiff neck/shoulder on my left side to the point I could not move my neck. This has progressed to where I have an ache/pains in the shoulder almost daily.

I have pain in my upper left back and in my lower left back, mainly the lower.

I also have pain occasionally that runs down the back of my left thigh and into my calf and ankle.

Weakness
I feel that my left leg is weaker then my right. I have no trouble doing daily activitys but my left leg feels 'wobbley' and through the stupidity of self diagnosing I have been trying to walk on the balls of my feet and heels, I can do both but cannot balance. IE If I were to walk across the room on my toes I am fine but if I try standing in one spot on my toes I loose my balance. I can also fluidly move my right foot in circles but my left foot I struggle with like I have no coordination with it.

Brain Issues
I quite often forget what I am saying or say the wrong word, I feel like I know what I want to say but the words don't come out as I mean them to.

I know there's only one way to find out and that's via the doctors and time but I was hoping you'd all tell me I'm crazy to be honest.

Again sorry to have to ask and I wish you all the best.

Go to your doctor and explain your symptoms, listen to what he/she says. Don't think you're crazy, and try not to worry yourself sick. That can make you sicker than anything else. Dr. Google can get you into trouble by over thinking and worrying. Your symptoms can be a number of things. The neck and shoulder pain could be the position you are sleeping in , or your mattress, or your pillow. Could be a pinched nerve. Memory, well age could be an answer or that preoccupation, or multi-tasking makes you forget. What I am trying to say is don't worry until you have to. Let the doctor do their job. Good luck, hope it works out well.

Short and sweet:

Twitches are last in the progression and occur where the muscle is no longer receiving messages across the synapse
Jerks possible myoclonic in nature? Not ALS
Pain is not usually associated with ALS until much later stage, yours possibly Sciatica
Please stop self testing, cannot be done
Your appointment was earlier today. Hoping things went well.
As I have said many times over, Doc tor Goo gle is exactly what you pay for.

My post went to mod land. Hopefully will show up by the time you give us good news!

Hi All,

Went to doctors this morning and she tested my reflexes and muscles which she say all looked fine.

She wanted to see the twitches in action but as usual they were no show during the exam.

I have had some bloods taken to check for vitimain deficiencies and then I have to see her again in a month to see if I am still having problems.

For now I'm off to enjoy christmas and not think about the 'what ifs'!

Hi All,

Random story but an important one to me.

I went to my grandfathers funeral today (old age got him) and afterwards went for a few drinks came home and had some tea.

Now here's the bit some might nt want to hear so I apologise.

Me and my beautiful partner after an emotional day had gotten to us were a little 'charged' and ended up having the most amazing 'encounter' lasting well over an hour.

Afterwards when we were coming back downstairs I could barely walk, muscles in both legs felt extremely weak and both extremely wobbley. It's was then it hit me like a brick 'how can this be ALS?'

I understand I am having twitches and one leg feels weaker, but after my hour with the Mrs both legs felt incredibly weak, my arms felt weak, my back felt shakey and I felt sapped of energy....not the best feeling in the world but it made me realise that if it was ALS it's not a sudden drop in weakness like I get, it doesn't suddenly jump to other limbs etc

I do feel like there is something wrong because of my symptoms but I don't think ALS is the answer.

I will always worry slightly about it but I think my major panicking days about it are over!

I am glad you are not worrying so much, but I would still follow up with the doctor. Good luck and best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back