Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Massachusetts
City
Norwood
Hi everyone!

Sorry to bother you all, but over the past month I've been experiencing the constant need to yawn and to sigh (I'm guessing I'm yawning 100 times a day, at least) and have been waking up around twice every night for this month, some times waking up confused and in a dream-like state. Also, the past two days I've been waking up with a mild headache, but no confusion.

Then, two weeks ago I noticed my lifts at the gym have started to decrease slightly. I can bench 15 less pounds than I used to, for instance, and my muscles get tired at the gym much quicker, and since I go to the gym every day this makes no sense to me (although I can still run a 7 minute mile with little difficulty).

This past week I've also been having the occasional cramp and fasciculation, and my left arm just feels weird to me. It's not hot or cold, or numb, but just feels as if it almost doesn't belong. I've been acting more clumsy than usual, too, tripping minorly every now and then and dropping things, and occasionally my muscles twitch.

I've gotten an MRI which came back fine, along with all of my blood work. I also got a PEF which was around 95% of what it should have been. My spO2 is also fine, although I have personally noted that it tends to decrease slightly lying down. I don't feel more short of breath lying down or after activities, but I might just be missing it.

One other symptom I have is that when I have gone to the doctors and they told me they personally think everything is fine and it's in my head my eyes start to water. I, probably foolishly, have diagnosed this as early PBA.

Anyways, I'm only 19 and have awful hypochondria and anxiety. Just two weeks ago it was impossible for me to have more than a few bites of a meal without feeling full, and the second I got an endoscopy which found nothing all of my stomach cancer related symptoms went away. I'm aware that these symptoms might all be related to my anxiety, but after spending way too much time online I've convinced myself I have respiratory onset ALS.

Again, I'm sorry for bothering you guys, as I'm sure you don't like to deal with worriers like me, but I just wanted someone knowledgeable to tell me how these symptoms can't be ALS. Like, can anxiety really make my lifts go down, make me wake up with headaches, and cause my eyes to water at things that don't seem worth getting so worked up over? I'm aware of how rare this form of ALS is, but somehow I'm 100% sure I have it, and since my PCP recommended I don't get an EMG I feel like I'm going to be worrying about this for weeks.

Thanks so much!

-Luke

Hi Luke
First you said you wanted someone knowledgeable to tell you this is not ALS? Apparently your PCP did and was strong enough to back it up by refusing to order an EMG ( which never seems to end up reassuring those with HA anyway)

I don't think you have ALS. Aside from the incredible rarity in 19 yo ( and those that have it at 19 are virtually all genetic anyway. If one of your parents did not die from this don't say oh maybe it is FALS) and the rarity of respiratory onset in any age group you don't have symptoms
Yes your anxiety could do every one of these things. And on top of that you admit recently not eating. Eat right, drink enough fluids and don't overtrain. Talk to your PCP about how to handle your real issue health anxiety otherwise it will ruin your life. Counseling perhaps CBT should be considered. You should be working/ going to school, hanging out with friends,dating and far too busy to be worrying about diseases you do not have

Luke, allow me: There is no f*****g way that you could possibly have ALS. I've already wasted enough time in answering your question. There's no need for you to ask about details. You just don't / can't have ALS.

Do what Nikki said.

Thank you so much!
I have been taking Prozac recently and getting CBT.

I really appreciate the reassurance (so much so that I actually almost teared up again, just to further fuel my anxiety lol).

But thanks and I wish you the best!

Just one more thing though, for that last bit of peace of mind.

Would ALS symptoms even present themselves this way early on? I've convinced myself I caught ALS in like, the first month it appears (which I do know is very unlikely as well) and would just sincerely appreciate someone telling me whether ALS would present itself in such a way.

-Luke

Lol, thanks Atsugi, I appreciate blunt honesty.

I'm sorry for bothering all of you, I realize that people like me probably upset you, but I do sincerely wish all of you the best.

-Luke

Read the sticky titled PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING.
You then might understand why someone with the primary symptom of "excessive yawning" might be a bit insulting for those of us who actually have this disease.

I did read all of the stickies, GregK. And believe me, it was not my intention to insult any of you, obviously.

The main symptom that concerned me was my growing weakness at the gym, and then in hindsight I realized that I've been taking a lot more deep breaths than usual over the past month.

I've read every thread on here about "Do I have ALS?" concerning respiratory ALS, and would not have made a post unless I thought there was a genuine possibility I had it. My constant need to take deep breaths I guess is pretty insignificant, but out of fear of it evolving into something worse I just wanted to check in here, since I figured you guys would be willing to offer insight on your first symptoms.

Again, I apologize for bothering you. But I assure you that I educated myself as much as I could before posting.

-Luke

Again, sorry, but the dropping things doesn't concern any of you? I drop my phone at least 10 times a day now, I used to drop it almost never, and my I always seem to be tripping over my own feet now.

Yes, I realize this is an idiotic symptom by itself, but I guess what I'm asking is if one of you could just tell me what symptoms I should be expecting in the early stages of respiratory onset ALS I'd appreciate it sincerely.

-Luke

Telling you symptoms is only going to fuel this. We won't do it. You would then have those "symptoms "by tomorrow. The mind is very powerful. Your symptoms are not those or respiratory onset, early onset or any other form of ALS. You have been given honest opinions and sincere advice. Please leave gracefully. This forum is very dangerous for those with HA. I strongly suggest blocking it on your computer,phone and tablet.

So Respiratory onset ALS wouldn't present itself with shortness of breath after saying a sentence or walking a bit? Or is it just cause I'm so young?

-Luke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back