Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
MN
City
Maple Grove
Recently the control of left arm is weak in certain positions and my arm is sore/stiff in the shoulder socket and elbow. When I wake in the morning after having slept on my left side, my arm is very sore and unusable for an hour or so.

I have been taking baclofen to help the stiffness, but my arm is still very sore. Will ibuprofen or physical therapy help ease the pain?

-Bob

Bob,
This type of shoulder/arm pain is fairly common as the arm atrophies. NSAIDs like Ibuprofen should help you--that's what my husband took for it at that stage and actually still takes for various pains now that he is immobile. Exercises (stretching/ROM)arent probably going to help this part of the problem, but they are important for many other reasons, to keep Range of Motion in the joints. It is amazing how fast joints lock up when limbs become immobile, and it is almost impossible to recover from once they lock up. Not trying to scare you, but just stressing how important it is---I know early on we were careless about ROM exercises with my husband....
Take Care, Beth (CALS to Shannon, diagnoseded 8/04 at age 40)

Hi Bob. Another thing with shoulders and hips is that the muscle atrophies so there is not as much cushioning so joint rubs against joint causing pain. I use an egg crate mattress pad and that helps. I also turn about every two to three hours at night. AL.

pain

Bob, watkins creme (linament ) helps me (hip & shoulder pain) if thats to strong for ya try aspercreme. God Bless You!:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back