Sometimes I feel all fingers and thumps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winnie15

Reason
CALS
Country
PI
State
PI
City
PI
I haven't been care giving all that long, I'm employed to do two hrs work along side another caregiver.
Those two hours consist of toileting, bed bath, dressing and transporting to day bed in lounge, feeding through peg tube, and some days shampooing her hair.

Sometimes it all goes so smoothly and I think yes we've done it, other times everything is a struggle and nothing goes right.

There's a lot of suctioning going on in between and we have to dress her around trachea and bi pap.

I'm just not sure if I'm doing the right job, I love helping people, but sometimes this is scary work.

How do you cope with caring for your patients .. do you feel confident or like me do you feel inadequate a lot of the time?

At what stage of MND is your patient at and hows it going for you?

thanks
Winnie :)

Hows your week going?

I had a good week, and today I worked one on one and it was great.
So no fingers and thumbs today :mrgreen:

Winnie - I cared for my mother who was unable to use her arms or her legs. It's tough, but if your patient can speak, ask about position, your grip (is it too hard or too much pressure?) and just go slow. There are also devices and 'tricks' that you may develop and find useful along the way. I found a dinner plate-size disc that spun in a complete circle - plop it on the floor, and it was a TREMENDOUS help to move her from a chair/bed to her wheelchair. Good luck, you'll do fine!
Carrie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back