07/2007
Country
US
State
PA
City
Pittsburgh
Hi All,

I want to share something that has been a help to us. I first want to say this is not meant to be medical advise. I just want to let you know something I've tried and how it has worked out for us.

For several years I've been using Oil of Oregano and garlic whenever I feel a cold coming on. Sometimes if I catch it soon enough it seems to mitigate it, other times it just seems to make it not as bad as it could be. I did this after reading about the anti-bacterial properties of the Oregano

Anyway, the past 2 times I have felt like Brian was starting something in his chest, and with a trach/vent we know that will quickly become pneumonia. Mostly I can tell by the color of his mucous, how thick/lumpy it is on suctioning and the smell. He has had pseudomonas a few times in the past and my understanding is that you never truly get rid of it, but it kind of goes into remission.

Anyway, I picked up some Oil of Oregano drops as well as Garlic Oil drops. This past week, I felt we were going down the bad path, the smell was aweful as well as the color heading in the wrong direction. It should be clear/white, this was thick, lumpy and yellow heading toward green, but not quite green.

I started with the oil of oregano - 1 drop of Oregano along with 1 drop of garlic oil in his breakfast. I started noticing slight improvement. About the 3rd day, maybe the 4th we had a day I thought would not end. We suctioned and suctioned, used the cough assist several times and I thought oh my I'll be calling to send a sputum sample. Only problem was this week I had no way to get it anywhere. My nurse was off and my DD out of town.

The next day, everything changed. That was yesterday. I barely suctioned him and it was back to white and the smell was mostly gone. I have continued the use today and will tomorrow at least. Just like antibiotics are taken longer than what it takes to clear up and issue.

I have seen this work 2 times now. I don't know why, but I do know that oregano and garlic are just foods. Makes his breakfast smell like pasta or pizza. He is fed through a PEG tube, so he never even realizes he's eating it, not that he would mind anyway.

Just thought I'd share.

What great information. I'm trying to store ideas away for when our time comes!

I'm a big believer in nutrition.

Thanks!

Awesome!

I didn't know about oregano, but garlic is used in combination with horseradish for example to thin secretions to help clear them, so it makes sense it worked the way it did :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back