Reason
PALS
Country
Mexico
State
Baja California
City
Mexicali
I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE THIS ARTICLE I FOUND ON THE WEB, ALTHOUGH TESTS ARE BEING DONE IN PATIENTS WITH SPINAL CORD INJURY, IT IS ALSO BEING TESTED IN A.L.S. PATIENTS AND IN OTHER NEUROMUSCULAR DISEASES.

A BREATH OF HOPE: A small device that can stimulate diaphragm muscles -- causing the lungs to fill with air -- holds the promise of freeing patients of ventilators.

By Gayle White
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 04/01/07

(dead link removed)

PLEASE READ IT ALL, IT IS A LITTLE BIT LONG.

SINCERELY,

PATY
HUSBAND'S CAREGIVER DX 10-17-2005
BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO

Last edited by a moderator:
Paty,

Thanks for putting this up for us. It seems like a particularly exciting development. I wonder when it will become available on a more widespread basis.

Liz

Here is one company making them. This site is from a year or so ago and I didn't check it to see if they updated it. Have a look anyway. AL.
http://www.averybiomedical.com/index.html

Yes they have Feb./07

Paty, Diaphram pacing

I found out that last month on the web. I asked Doctor Glass at Emory on my last visit in March . He said that wouldnt work
with ALS . He said the Phrenic nerve goes out in Als. I dont want to put a damper on any hope but that is what he told me . If
any body hears anything dif. please let us no. I heard they were
testing it in some patients that was why I asked about it.

Davis 07

Thanks for the feedback Al

Hi Al:

Thanks for the feedback on the subject of Breathing Pacemakers I had never heard about them.

Liz Al had already knew about the Pacemakers.

Paty
Husband's Caregiver DX 10-17-05
Baja California, Mexico

diaphragm pacing for als looks promising

Hi!

I have been researching the newest diaphragm pacing method by Dr. Onders and it sounds very promising for ALS. This is different than the one Al mentioned. They have successfully done it for 11 ALS patients. It only involves having small battery pack the size of a remote externally. They are going for FDA approval and it looks like they are doing clinical trials.

This article is the most updated one I could find - I googled Dr. Onders diaphragm pacing.
http://wghmch.com/Pacer-January-2007.pdf

"We have now implanted 11 ALS patients with the DPS System. These patients had a forced vital capacity (FVC) of at least 50% at the initial screening and had not yet required invasive mechanical ventilation. The first four patients have used the system for more than one year. The results to date have confirmed that there is a sound scientific rationale for electrical stimulation of the diaphragm in ALS, especially in this group of patients whose FVC at implantation was 53% or lower."

Barb

Thanks Barb! we can always use a little bit of hope around here! Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back