Status
Not open for further replies.
question about SS

Hi,

I just made an appointment for my husband at our local SS office. They told us to bring the obvious...his social security card, birth certificate, last years W-2's, his life insurance policies, and his 401K paperwork.
What does his 401K or his life insurance policies have to do with it?

Sis

It's probably to determine if he would qualify for Supplemental Security Income, the benefit for low-income people who are over 65 or disabled. SSI eligiblity considers income and assets like 401(k)'s and cash value of life insurance.

<<cash value of life insurance.>>

Thats almost laughable when it comes to cash value of our term life insurance policies. Its pretty much non-existent.

My husband is 58 years old.

sis

just applied

Hi all,

my husband just applied for disability last week--did it on line and I went to the office to take care of the paper work. they were actually very nice and indicated that it would only take a few weeks to kick in because of the ALS diagnosed. what bothered me was that we would have to wait 5 months from the approval for money--and the guy insisted that we couldnt have medicare for 24 months. I can live with the 5 months though that is ridiculous, but 24 months for medicare! I said to the guy--he might not be alive in 24 months and he just shrugged and said thats the law. I see in some posts that medicare kicked in right away for some of you. I can not find info on the gov site--any one got advice or will the medicare be automaitc or will I need to apply?

medicare

Rick had his phone interview for SS disability the first week of November. The girl on the phone said that he would surely be granted it, but that it always takes, at the least, 3 months. Rick got medicare on January 1st, and his first check on January 18. But one thing to note, he has one other reason to apply.... and that is the leg injury that has made him immobile for a while. Good luck to you and your husband, Barbie!

Hi Barbie,

I had trouble with the ss office right from the beginning (for my sister). Call your state representative and tell them what they are telling you. I did, and they did so much for us. They immediately called the local ss office, and things progressed from there. The Teri law applies for ALS cases. Medicare is automatic (if the person with ALS has enough work credits). Medicare should go back to the month SSI or SSDI was applied for (at least in Texas, I would assume would be the same for all states).

Hope this helps.
Good Luck,
Nell

sis
they ask pretty much for your net worth to see if your husband should be applying for ssi or disability. they told me that when i applied i would not hear for 5 mo's, and i heard
in a little over a month that i was approved for disability, they just ask lots of redundant questions. it is true that when you get approved that your first check takes 5 mo's, but really its 6 mo's cause they pay a month behind. i have already recieved my medicare card but it is not effictive until may (which is my is my 5 months)
my neuro told me that when they see als they pretty much approve it right away...
hope this helps.
dona

Ssi

I have also looked into SSI for my mom and was told very bluntly that because she hasn't worked and my dad makes too much money that she isn't able to receive SSI or medicare whatsoever. An advocate has told my dad that because my mom has ALS that she most defintely would be eligible, but all three times I have talked to the SSA they have told me no. I just went ahead and applied on line anyhow and thought I'd see what happens.

myhope, i applied but was told that since i havent work in the past 10yrs i dont qualify. i dont think its fair. i wont live to b 65 n so i dont have ins., i dont take any meds. n i have a house n suposal supporrt so i have no financial support n everything is so expensive especialy caretaker.

he shouldnt haave 2 wait. i was told als patients dont have 2 wait if he has work with in the past 5yrs. i didnt qualify b/c i havent work 4 over 15 yrs

My sister did not work for 15 yrs. prior to her diagnosed. in Aug. 2007...she qualified for SSI and Medicaid. I started her application for her, to get it pushed through I called her congressperson who in turn called the local ss office and got the ball rolling for us...we started her application in Sept. 2007, she received her 1st disability check in Jan. 2008, and received back pay to Sept., medicaid is reviewing medical bills back to Aug. 2007. Have not heard yet if they are going to help there or not.

If you do not have enough work credits you will not qualify for Medicare, but you do qualify for SSI (SSDI is if you have enough work credits), anyway this is what I have been told.

It can be and was a very frustrating process...

On another note, I have not posted many times, but everyone here has been such a big help to me. I learned alot from this forum these past few months. My lovely Sister Kay passed away March 27, 2008. We were not quite ready to let her go, but she was at peace when she left us, and we know that she is in a much better place...

nell, sorry about your sister. thnks for inf. i dont qualify for ssi or medicaid b/c i get to much spousal support acording to them. they dont care that it only covers my house payment n the caaretaker.

Cukita and Myhope

Ask if you can draw off your husbands ss. Divorced or not.

Lorie

lorie, i can but at 65 or if he dies. im 53.

I applied for my husband before he was even diagnosed with ALS (3/22). I brought the paperwork into the SS on the day he was diagnosed (3/27).

I wrote Senator Lamar Alexander about my husband's condition and requested help. I received a letter from his office with an offer to help in which he needed a release from my husband. I filled this out the next day, faxed it to his office and received a call from his office stating that we will hear from SS no later than 7-10 days. The lady I spoke with stated that his benefits should start 5/1, along with Medicare.

Good luck,
Aleta

duplin

HI..........Please let DH know how difficult it will be for him to get a job. I am being realistic. I was diagnosed as having a neuromuscular disease/muscle wasting foot drop/wrist drop etc... They did not diagnose ALS because they still need to see progression and what not. Well i can still work part time but i am having a very difficult time finding a job. Employers want to know why someone who worked with kids and has a Earlychildhood degree wants to be a secretary or waitress part time instead. There are not that many part time jobs out there. If DH is progressing he would be better off getting into a hobby or sport that he can sort of play. Dh can volunteer at lots of places, like hospitals, habitat for humanity etc... On days he cannot go it wont be a big deal because it is not required, on days he has to go to the hospital he wont get the evil eye from co workers that depend on him to be there. If Dh still wants to work than he can go to vocational rehab, they will help him look for a job that is suitable to his needs, and they teach you how to fill out an application when you have a disability. For instance, if you can do everything involved for the job, you do not have to put down you have a disability... Heck you don't have to put it down at all, but if there are parts of the job you cant do because of disability they will help you word the reason to why.

If he is into sports he can modify them to be able to play. My boys play baseball and i can throw the ball with my right hand and thanks to my brisk reflexes i can catch better than ever! I cannot however bend down or run very well, so i make sure i catch the ball because there is no hustle in me. It is harder for me to bend up and down than it is to throw a perfect pitch! Community College's have a lot of classes for hobbies and for learning new skills, maybe Dh can get into that.... I hope i helped, Sammantha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back