Not open for further replies.

Derrick

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
I will sum things us rather quickly because I know I’m not the first to post about this. I would just like feedback from this wonderful community about what it is I may be going through. For a heads up, my initial symptoms may not seem ALS related, but it will make more sense as I get into the details.I’m a 27 year old African American male. Thankyou so much.

Things started to go wrong for me around April 2021. One day while at work, I turned my head to speak with one of my supervisors, and something went wrong. When I turned my head back to what I was doing, I felt nothing but pain in my neck and my upper back. It’s as if it was connected.

I thought the pain would pass in a day or two but it never did. The pain went on for months and during that time it seemed to evolve. My entire back and neck was constantly in a dull ache. It became tiring to stand for too long, or to walk for too long without the ache forcing me to take a seat or to lie down. It would become too tiring to keep a straight posture for too long. For example, driving became tiring because it seemed to cause my back too much strength to keep my head up.

I let things go on like this until the next year 2022. I figured it would pass and I would eventually get back to normal. But things progressed. Starting around April 2022, something would not allow me to sleep on my sides or my back some nights. To describe it the best way I can, it just felt like an immense amount of pressure would build up in my back and neck, and. it would spread to the back of my head. I would wake up with a crazy headache in the back of my head. I could not sleep longer than say an hour or so without whatever it was FORCING me to get up. I literally felt like I was going to die.

At this point my mom said I have to go to the doctor. So to speed things up, I eventually had an MRI domes of my upper back and neck done. They said they saw NOTHING. While doing a physical exam though, they noticed my reflexes in both my knees were brisk. The doctor tapped both and both my legs would just jump. He then noticed my reflexes were brisk throughout my body, both arms, and both legs. I didnt know what this meant so when I googled, it the first thing to come up was ALS. I’m like okay.

Then, while going down the stairs at work one day, both of my legs were shaking like crazy. I couldn’t take one step with either leg without them kinda locking up and shaking. I literally felt like a 90 year old man. From that day on, walking down stairs and hills has become difficult because of this shaking. Now both of my legs hurt almost all the time and they shake when I lift them up. They just feel heavy and tired most days now. I figured this is just weakness. Some days are better than others.

About a month later that’s when I began to have twitches all over my body. It was horrible. One day at work, my left shoulder was twitching uncontrollably. Every place on my body from the neck down would just twitch and throb. I went to my primary and told her about my concerns with the twitching and reflexes and she sent me to a neurologist. They did an MRI of my lower back and brain, and NOTHING.

Now my most current symptoms are also in my face. For the past year, there would be times I would be laughing or smiling, and when my face goes back to a normal position, both of my cheeks would feel so heavy and tight. I didn’t think much of it. Now I cannot seem to hold a smile without my lips and mouth shaking. Even if I go to pucker my lips slowly, my lips are quivering. So in questioning if this may be Bulbar symptoms of ALS.

I had an emg done last month on my arms and legs, and go for the results I’m about 2 weeks. Thankyou again for taking the time to read all of this craziness, and I apologize if it seems all over the place, but this is what’s going on. The reason I am question if it’s ALS is because of the brisk reflexes, the fact that nothing is showing on my MRIs or bloodwork, and because I seem to have upper and lower motor neuron symptoms.

Like many of our visitors, you see ALS in the fact that your tests are good so far. That's like saying that if the mechanic says your car looks good, that it must have an unseen leaky valve.

Your issues don't align with either limb or bulbar onset ALS, and if your EMG had shown anything serious, you'd know that by now.

What they may align with is some combination of dehydration, stress, electrolyte imbalance and/or lack of refreshing sleep. The face thing in particular often aligns with fatigue or dehydration. You might really want to keep track of what/how you eat, drink, exercise, sleep, and how you feel. Green, yellow, red, and yellow foods can be a big help. You can also try a drop of magnesium lotion on the shaky spots.

There are also pain syndromes that can be triggered by a neck strain such as you may have had. You might want to see a physiatrist (physical medicine/rehab doc) or an orthopedist with a spine specialty, either of whom can suggest PT, massage, or other therapy if/as appropriate.

Brisk reflexes may be associated with ALS by Google, but they are seldom "a sign" when everything else looks like something else, as in your case. And brisk reflexes can also follow your pesky mind, the mind that is obviously concerned.

Feel free to stop back by when you have the EMG results, but I fully expect them to be reassuring as regards ALS.

I would stay off Google. S/he doesn't have a medical license.

Best,
Laurie

I'm always so sorry to see google suggesting ALS when people search on vague symptoms.
Let us know the EMG results, but honestly there is no single thing that would suggest ALS in what you report.

Whether or not you have a serious condition, Derrick, you gotta be your best advocate. Ask your medical providers to explain anything you don't understand, and anything you're curious about. Jot down your questions ahead of time. Get to know your medical portal software. Consider going to physical therapy to get optimal use of your body. Let the experts help you. Best wishes.

I’ve made a previous post about my concerns. As I said before, all of this began in 2021 when I hurt my neck and back. The first page are my legs, the second are my arms. Oh boy. Could it be ALS?
D9363031-6846-4687-9CD6-F28F42B38204.jpeg
6581005F-3FC5-434E-B649-CD0B8A973164.jpeg

No your emg was normal. See all those normals in the emg table? Your nerve conduction was abnormal. It is something else. They say in the summary that they were going to discuss the results. You have some kind of neuropathy not ALS

Hello. Thankyou for your reply. But, from your opinion how is it normal with all of the abnormalities they found? I don’t understand.

You had two tests emg was normal. All the abnormalities they talk about are in the nerve conduction study. Normal emg plus abnormal ncs is something other than als. Ask your doctor to explain. You have evidence of nerve damage not motor neuron disease. I can’t say it any clearer. Again look at the emg chart at the top of your picture all normal

The test that was abnormal is not the one that looks for ALS. The test that was not normal shows nerve problems (not the ALS kind, though!) that can get better with treatment, and they will discuss that with you.

Because of what they found, they are also recommending a second opinion about what to do next, and I would definitely make that appointment first thing.

You do not have ALS or anything like it. What you do have, treatment can make better. Google demyelinating neuropathy support or peripheral neuropathy support and your zip code, and you will find links that can help you. In addition, there are probably groups on FB and Reddit.

All the best.
--Laurie

Hello Laurie. Thankyou for your reply as well.
This is just all so new to me and I’m very uncomfortable and a bit scared right now. I do have a question. ALS has been on my mind so much since this began and it’s what I’m afraid of most, but, does it typically cause demyelination? I haven’t seen that as some thing that comes up often on the internet in association with ALS, but I do see it often for MS. My back is still pretty messed up, idk if it can be stemming from my back. I just don’t know at this point. I’m so nervous.

Sorry you are really struggling- poor health, especially if you aren't sure what the trouble is, is always stressful.

Signs of demyelination such as yours is not the result someone with ALS would get. You have been cleared of ALS pretty comprehensively despite what you have feared. It is time to leave ALS and the ALS forum behind, as you have received results that point away from ALS and towards something else entirely. What you must do is consult with your doctor about next steps. Laurie has recommended you google "demyelinating neuropathy" for some basic information, but your doctor really is the person to speak to about symptom relief and what further actions should be taken to provide you more information about your non-ALS related condition.

Please take care

NO.
ALS does not cause demyelination.

As far as treatment, what do you think would be some possible outcomes for me? Medication, physical therapy, etc ?

Derrick, you've been cleared of ALS and that is the only thing this forum deals with. You're asking folks on this forum questions you need to ask your doctor.

So, please ask your GP what their plans are for a treatment path for you. The good news is, you no longer need to be here.

Good luck to you.

Second that. I'm closing this thread so you can get to work finding answers on the ground, that you can't find here. The answer to your question depends on other findings on your exam and other tests that we don't have access to. The thought seems to be symptomatic treatment, so both PT and meds could be on the table. I would imagine you will be asked to do certain exercises at home on your own.

The only way to find out what should come next, is through a focused conversation. And, Derrick, If your team is not a fit for you, find another one.

All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back