Not open for further replies.

DarkFantasy

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
KR
Hello everyone. First of all, thanks to everyone for watching and replying on my thread. I'm a 17/Male student who are doing programming works and design works a lot, means that I use hands a lot for typing keyboard. I haven't met a doctor because my hand symptoms occurred very recently - like 5 days ago.

When I lift my ring finger in both hands, It gets locked and resists. However, I can lift them by giving more power, which it is painful (like tingling feeling?) sometimes, sometimes it isn't. This symptom is extreme when I wake up, or before when I go to bed. Sometimes it is harder to lift ring finger on left hand, sometimes on right hand. I tried pain reliving patch on the both ring fingers and I am not sure that these patches are helping me. I searched google and this symptom is similar with trigger finger. Also, I got tired and drained feeling recently, especially on both hands.

Recently, I have read many articles from Google. I accidentally saw ALS symptoms by searching BFS, so I am scared of ALS.

Is this ALS? or is this a simple BFS?

What have your doctor and parents said? 5 days is an incredibly short time to think you have symptoms that are ALS (which they don't sound like it at all, based on how my husband's symptoms started), a rare, terminally ill disease. That's like having a headache one day and thinking you have a brain tumour by the next.

Last edited:
I see you haven't bothered to see a doctor yet, which is where you need to start.
You need your hand examined and a doctor to see all of you.
They can then give an indication on what could possibly be going on and what testing to do, if any.
But ALS? Please, drop that accidental idea immediately.
I'm sure the simple answers will also bring treatment options.

Pain patches aren't the answer to repetitive hand injury caused by too much keyboarding in a bad position, which is a super common thing. You can find tons of links on ergonomic keyboarding that will likely be more on point -- approaches to try while you consider or wait for an appointment. Sometimes it's a new keyboard, sometimes a better setup, sometimes both.

Best,
Laurie

Fantasy, being just 17 years old you really need to share with your parents what you
have posted above, have them read it if they aren't aware. The ball is in their court...
really not ours. I'd doubt you'd get a doctors appointment without their consent.

But... that's the start.

Hope the best... you're way too young to be burdened with
fears of ALS. And the odds.... seven digits against the possibility.

First of all, thanks for everyone who replied my questions. Thanks for using your time to reply on my questions and it really helped me a lot.

I met a doctor and he says that it is a classic trigger finger, which is completely random. I asked doctor about my twitching on my eyelids and my left arm, and he says my symptoms has nothing to do with ALS, but It is likely related with my diet or habits.

Again, thanks everyone for replying!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back