Madeline

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Previous thread

It seems my previous thread was closed, if you could, please merge this with it.

I wanted to provide some updates on my dx process. I got an MRI of multiple parts of the spine, which all came back clean, and my neurologist said MS was no longer on the table.

When I went back in for a check up after the MRI he seemed far more concerned with the headaches I had been having than all of the muscle issues, but he did a quick neurological exam and found that I still had very brisk (3+) reflexes in my legs (he barely had to touch them for my legs to shoot up) but no clonus, Hoffman's, or Babinski.

When I asked him about the fasciculations he told me "there's no additional tests I can really do for those", prescribed me some melatonin, and quickly wrapped up the appointment. Overall seemed pretty dismissive like there was nothing more he could do for me.

Current symptoms: fasciculations all over, random muscle cramps,
tongue jerks, facial tightness, perceived shallow breathing, brisk reflexes, muscle pain that comes and goes in various places, random quick pains in head

I'm wondering why he didn't recommend an EMG if my reflexes are abnormal and the MRI didn't give any answers? What's my next step?

Last edited by a moderator:
Threads close after a period of inactivity. Most likely, your doc didn't recommend an EMG because you have no reason to get one. You don't have evidence ALS, so he's not going to go forward with unnecessary medical procedures. Brisk reflexes on their own can be due to stress or other innocuous issues; they do not equate to a motor neuron disease.

Your next step is to continue working with your docs. Please stop trying to get feedback and medical advice from the terminally ill folks on this forum. It's not fair, and it borders on inappropriate. I'm sure you're worried, but you need not be about having ALS. You simply do not evidence having it.

Good luck to you and take good care.

Madeline… this is really simple why he didn’t order an EMG.

“…but no clonus, Hoffman's, or Babinski”

“…"there's no additional tests I can really do for those", (Headaches)

“…I'm wondering why he didn't recommend an EMG.”

He found no reason to be concerned about ALS. Headaches are
not a symptom of ALS.

Symptoms that come and go, no matter what, points away from ALS.

Your next step is not this ALS site but with your other doctors.

I'm guessing by what you report here and your doctors response that these are pretty low level symptoms you are experiencing.
Nothing to suggest you have a terminal illness.

You can return to your PCP and discuss how you can address your anxiety which could have a huge benefit.
You could also start researching good nutrition, meditations, stress reduction, sleep habits, mindfulness, and exercise.

Twitching means nothing, you need to follow up with a doctor and believe them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back