Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
NJ
City
So. Plainfield
I am on here because my mother has been diagnosed with ALS. In her initial appt. at the ALS clinic with her neurologist, he put a flashlight on her legs, and lo and behold, there was some very strange "twitching" going on. It was almost like there were three worms going up and down from her calf to her knee and back again nonstop. Like a wave. I sat there just in awe..........not a good kind of awe, but you know what I mean.

I have posted here that my twitches are scaring me. But mine are more pop-pop-pop. If you saw my mother's they were different. Slowly going up, going down, going up, going down.

I don't know if this means anything to anyone, but with all the talk of twitching, I thought I'd share.

Hers sound like average ALS twitches. Yours don't.
AL

thank you so much for sharing that. I have often wondered what the difference is. my twiches are pop, pop, pop also. sometime a pulsing or jumbing. Please take care and I am sorry of your mother. THere are so many care givers on here that give you great advice. you are in the right place.

april

Thanks for the info. on twitching. It has helped me to ralax a bit.

I will pray for your mother and your entire family.

sincerely,
Darla

My husbands fasciculations look exactly as described, like a bag of worms, or rather snakes in his case, under his skin, they are NOT random, but constant and localized. I get random fasciculations a lot, and definately don't have ALS- (maybe a few other things, namely stress and fatigue, ha) I get them in my eye frequently, and sometimes in other parts, but random and jumpy. Jim's are never random.
Andrea - wife of Pals Jim

I am on here because my mother has been diagnosed with ALS. In her initial appt. at the ALS clinic with her neurologist, he put a flashlight on her legs, and lo and behold, there was some very strange "twitching" going on. It was almost like there were three worms going up and down from her calf to her knee and back again nonstop. Like a wave. I sat there just in awe..........not a good kind of awe, but you know what I mean.

I have posted here that my twitches are scaring me. But mine are more pop-pop-pop. If you saw my mother's they were different. Slowly going up, going down, going up, going down.

I don't know if this means anything to anyone, but with all the talk of twitching, I thought I'd share.

Thanks for that, but now I am even more confused as Al said the popping ones dont sound like ALS. I have twitches...popping type ALL over my body ALL of the time, never ending, and then sometimes a random one which are more pronounced and visibly violent ... but less of them now that I am on Riluzole. ON the strength of the EMG and all the other tests, MRI, nerve conductive and lumbar puncture, the Neuro said I have speudo bulbar als.
He is such a bigshot I would love to prove him wrong, and of course prove him wrong for me.... I did have a second opinion, but he only physically looked at me (over quite a long appointment) and looked at the letter from my neuro. I AM having another opinion shortly at an mnd clinic, so will keep everything crossed that they come up with something else.......heres hoping...jennifer51

I wish you the best jennifer51!

I too, wish you the best Jennifer.

All I can tell you is the "twitching" in my mother's calf was just constant, constant, constant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back