Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Delaware
Went to see ortho today because I've been having a lot of pain in my legs, he did an xray and diagnosed a bit of RA behind kneecaps and gave me a cortizone shot. I was about to leave when I asked him if that could be causing the twitching in my calves. He gave me a look and said no, then he tested my reflexes and apparently I have a positive babinski reflex.
I never heard of that until today, but I now have an appointment with a neurologist. He said it could be many things (Spinal cord injury, A very VERY mild case of CP (BC apparently I have quite a few things that go with that) MS... And of course he mentioned that although rare it could be ALS.
Needless to say I am terrified. I stupidly looked up the symptoms of ALS after I left and I have other symptoms (Trouble swallowing sometimes, weakness).
I had an EMG about 9 years ago and it was clean, but that was 9 years ago, many things could've changed since then.

I know no one on here can diagnose anyone else, but I don't see a neurologist for another 2 weeks and I am scared, really scared.

So technology wants to play games with me. The post is below.

Last edited:
Continues to play games.

Last edited:
Forget,

You made the first big mistake by oo gl ing doc tor go og le. He tends to lump symptoms and spits out the wrong disease. Which in turn scares the bejeebies out of people.

If I were you, I would start at your GP. Let him examine you and decide where you need to go. The reason I say that is because you are all over the place.

What was the reason for the EMG 9 years ago?
Why a presumptive CP diagnosis?
Why a visit to an orthopedist?
If possible RA, have you been to a Rheumatologist?
Have you had labs done?
MRI's?
Any other tests that you may have had?

I ask, because ALS is not a simple diagnosis and it seems to me that your doc tor's tongue was in overdrive. Speaking before the brain engaged. I would call your GP and start again. Ignore the symp toms you read (the mind is all powerful), and enjoy the time before the Neuro's appointment. Worrying doesn't get you anywhere.
As for the twitching, you can look up B F S. My "twitching" is very little and in just a couple of places. It also just started. And that is where doc tor go og le puts his 2 cents in.

Good luck to you and let us know,

The EMG was done for suspected Carpal tunnel YEARS ago. I remember it well lol, anytime there is needles involved I tend to not forget it.

I've had a few head CTs done in my life from concussions etc... and they were all normal. That is part of the reason he said mild CP. First he mentioned something about soft tissue, then we started talking about my lifelong clumsiness, and how for my entire life I have sometimes forgotten words etc...

As for lab work, I've had a lot of blood drawn lately (1 was a d dimer to make sure that the leg problems weren't caused from DVT, and then some lab work when I had my kidney stone a few weeks back, nothing abnormal in them).

I know I made a huge mistake by googling, and I do feel bad by coming here and freaking out, when most of the members here are actually diagnosed with ASL, and have real things to be concerned about, but I was scared and I tend to be a little hypocondriacy (Is that even a word? lol)

I promise I will take your advice though. Worrying myself for the next two weeks will do me no good, so I am going to just breath, call my tdoc and see if she can prescribe me some ativan (what she gives me when my anxiety reaches its peak) and try not to think about it.

On a complete side note, my friend who went with me mentioned b12 deficiency? Could that some of the symptoms I listed.

Symptoms that occur "sometimes" aren't really consistent with ALS. ALS symptoms don't come and go -- they come and stay. Symptoms that come and go are caused by other medical conditions and by anxiety.

So, relax about your chances of having ALS and read all of the sticky posts for this (Do I Have ALS?) part of the board (and the links they contain) so you'll be better informed about this disease that appears to have you terrified.

Good luck.

I read the stickies, which I admit in my anxiety filled state that I didn't read. I am truly sorry to bother you guys with this! I know it can probably get annoying.

Forget,

B-12 can cause nerve damage and muscle weakness. I had just recently read where it can cause sciatica. Someone has a post, it might be under the Do I Have Section and I believe it says something like, "Have your B-12 levels checked".

The symp toms you just mentioned with forgetting words and lifelong clumsiness steers you away from ALS. May I ask what you do to suffer so many concussions?

First concussion - (Age 5) Tripped over a bad piece of sidewalk and cracked my head.

second - (Age 9) Ice storm, me and some kids in the neigborhood decided ice would be fun for sledding, was walking back up hill and fell and cracked my head.

3rd - (Age 16) Car Accident

4th - (Age 22) Wasn't paying attention walked into a car door, right at the corner, nice scar from that one.

They were all mild concussions.
I am in all honesty a walking disaster, you should see my list of breaks, sprains, dislocations, and stitches.
If there is a wall, slippery surface, or sharp object my body WILL find it.

Have you thought about a helmet? I think I will keep my distance from you.

But in all seriousness, read the stickies like Tr said and go to the GP. And don't oo gle the doc tor again. I'm glad that you accept the hypochondriac diagnosis. Get something for the anxiety.

Toto- Genuine thank you! You have really helped put my mind in a better place. I TRULY appreciate it. And I will read those stickies, then promise to avoid anything ALS, or neuro related unless the doc says otherwise :)

I've been going through an ALS scare myself - all because my GP saw twitching and brisk reflexes, and referred me for an EMG (I did find out later that he was indeed worried about ALS). I haven't been diagnosed! You should look at benign fasciculations - there is a webpage where everybody twitches (and calf twitches are particularly common!). It's most likely that rather than all those other awful conditions (I don't think MS causes twitching even!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back