Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
AL
City
Enterprise
Thank you to all those who take there time and energy to answering the questions of complete strangers.

Like many people who post a thread here, I began to research some symptoms I’ve been having recently. In doing so I found concerning, but also very confusing and vague information about ALS. My biggest question (and I know this is addressed in the READ BEFORE POSTING, but the vast majority of websites are so unclear and conflicted about this) is does ALS present symmetrically and in both arms and legs?

About a month ago I began to feel what I would describe as weakness in my arms from my shoulder down to my fingers, which seem not to move very well or with extra effort. At the same time a similar issue appeared in my legs, with calf and shin muscles being the worst. The muscles are tender and sore, which I understand is not indicative of ALS, but you see the term “progressive muscle weakness and fatigability” connected to ALS on so many websites.
I also have begun to have fasciculations in my calves, thighs, and occasionally glutes and arms. Again, I understand this is not a sure sign of ALS, but the combination of them and the weakness led me to searching (too much, of course), and eventually to here where I saw very helpful and clear descriptions of this disease. In addition, my neck, throat and face muscles seem to get tired to the point where speaking almost becomes difficult. No one has noticed me slurring words, though I sometimes think I have.

I don’t suspect I have ALS at this point (thanks in large part to the information on this site), but I am concerned of course, and I thought at the very least asking this question and describing these symptoms may help calm the nerves of someone else down the road or clear up some confusion brought on by the WebMD culture of the internet.

I’m 32, male, and am a military pilot. Because going to a doctor about anything as a pilot can be a headache, I haven’t gone in yet, but plan to. My wife and I are having a baby in a few weeks and whatever this is I don’t want to feel this way if I don’t have to. That being said, again, thanks to all of you who take the time to read this posts and answer them as clearly and kindly as you do.

aLS virtually always starts in one area on one side and spreads from such as right hand gradually spreading up arm before moving to another limb. The weakness progresses from one area to the next. You are reporting symptoms in both arms both legs and in the bulbar area. You would not have symptoms all over like this. By the time someone with ALS gets to the point of involvement all over they are exceedingly disabled

I don’t know if you have something else concerning wrong. Only a doctor who examines you can answer that but you can relax re ALS

good luck with the baby!

Thank you for time and your knowledge, it’s obvious from looking over this forum even for a few minutes that both of those are helping people. Same to the other moderators who post here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back