Some odd symptoms that have arrived suddenly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucasBatman

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
City
Saratoga
Just being able to see people’s stories and responses has already helped me weed through so many of my concerns and I cannot explain how grateful I am for that but I still have a singular question. Around three weeks ago I had just left the gym and my lower right side chin and lip went numb. That lasted around two hours and then dissipated. I brushed it off as just a weird little disruption. Then fast forward about a week and a 1/2 later, I’m laying down for bed and once more my lower right chin and lip goes numb, this time lasting just a little longer than the first. Fast forward a week after that and I woke up at night to pain on my right side jaw and numbness once more on my right side chin and lower lip. But this time the numbness has not dissipated. It’s been numb for over a week now. My primary suggested I go to an oral surgeon assuming it had something to do with a tooth issue intercepting a nerve which relaxed me. Upon going to the oral surgeon however I was told he could see nothing wrong especially in the sense of disrupting any nerves, he also called what I was experiencing paresthesia (so not total
numbness but lack of some feeling as well I believe). He then recommended a CT/MRI of my skull and my primary obliged. So that should be taking place within the next couple weeks hopefully. But after visiting that oral surgeon I of course went to doctor Google because I wasn’t getting any answers and that just gave me worst case scenario after worst case scenario and brought up the possibility of ALS. This made me spiral and ever since that visit to the oral surgeon my anxiety has been through the roof leading to panic attacks, sleep deprivation, sleep paralysis, OCD obsession with the fact that I may now have ALS along with the fact that my body is now cramping and twitching just about everywhere for the past week. But no lack of strength as far as I can tell. I have seen a million posts on here of people freaking out and obsessing over symptoms that you pros do not deem as anything related to ALS, however I haven’t seen any forum posts that include chin paresthesia/numbness and whether or not that relates to ALS. Looking for some insight or even just another “No this is not ALS” so I can try to get back to living my life that I am very grateful for. I appreciate you all. Hope to hear from you soon.

Hi Lucas,

It's not clear what brought you here exactly- numbness and tingling, intermittent symptoms, etc, do not indicate ALS. Please make sure to read this: Read Before Posting to reassure yourself and address any further questions to your doctor, as this is not at all how ALS presents itself.

Unfortunately, chin numbness and ALS seem to have strong correlations when it comes to google. Which was throwing me for a loop. But I couldn’t find any reference to it in any of these forums. I didn’t know if it was a sleeper symptom that was extremely rare or anything of that sort.

I have no idea where you found that bogus correlation (which of course is not causation, either). My guess is you rested your chin on your arms without realizing it at some point, tweaked something at the gym, or need a new pillow.

If the symptoms do not improve, I would see an ENT.

Best,
Laurie

... however I haven’t seen any forum posts that include chin paresthesia/numbness and whether or not that relates to ALS ... the reason being, because it bears zero relation to ALS.
I would suggest going back to your doctor if you continue to worry this much while waiting for the next tests. It is unlikely to be something super rare, so try to stay calm and work with your doctor.

Not according to my search (I did quick one to see what you were talking about), so it might be time to stop searching online if you're going to connect unrelated things to assume a terminal disease.

I'm not a doctor or a dentist but I just did a search for "numb lip chin" and the first thing returned is for Numb Chin Syndrome. It sounds like there are many benign causes but also some less good causes. There is no mention of ALS, and I think you can put ALS out of your mind, but you should get checked out by a doctor because cancer is in the differential. I'm not trying to freak you out, but if it were me I would follow up with a doctor immediately just in case it is something malignant that they can treat.

Lucas, from your post... " ALS seem to have strong correlations when it
comes to Google"

Thousands of Americans have falsely convinced themselves they have a
serious disease after turning to 'Dr. Google' – according to new research.

Instead of alleviating concerns, 74 percent of those who have self-diagnosed
online searching for their symptoms made them worry more about their health.

That is due to the answers given by Dr. Google, of internet medical advice,
was found by researchers to be misleading without proper evaluation by a
a qualified physician.

Sixty-five percent of respondents who used the internet to self-diagnose themselves…
the results show typing your symptoms into the search bar might do more harm
than good.

Last edited:
My forearm keeps lightly cramping and twitching. Are these symptoms anything to worry about? The whole right arm feels kinda tingly numb lately.

Make sure to read the Read Before Posting again, as it addresses things like tingling and numbness and how this is not how ALS presents. If you are still concerned, visit with your doctor. The folk here can't help you with figuring it out, only let you know ALS isn't in the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back