00/0000
Country
IN
State
KC
City
Bangalore
Hi All,

I am 28 year old and have been worried about ALS symptoms for quite some time. I have tingling , pins and needles sensation for a couple of years.I had twitching all over arms and legs starting about a year ago. Then I had a NCS done which was normal. Recently the twitching intensified which led me to seek out another neurologist. Also I tripped over a few obstacles in past 2-3 months. He had whole lot of blood tests done along with ECG anr NCS. Everything came back normal. But after this I developed Right Hip pain which was due to tightness of muscles in hip region and also persistent mild tingling in my right feet. I am mostly worried about two things:

1) I had my needle EMG done at home by a medical student and not a doctor due to Corona. Though all the reading were analysed by the doctor. How likely the readings can be totally wrong ?

2) Since Hip pain started after EMG, they did not check those muscles for EMG. They took EMG for 2 muscle per limb (Thigh and calf for legs). They did not took EMG for feet even.

3) I dropped 2-3 objects in past 10 days. Is this something I should be concerned about ?

Should I go for another EMG with a different doctor ? If yes then how much time should I wait for considering I had my EMG done 2 weeks back.

I can comprehend the difficulties people face here on daily basis. I would not want anyone to waste too much time on this thread. I have waited 2 months to post this because I did not want to burden anyone. I have reached a situation where every second of life is spent on this.

Please help in case some one has some spare time to advice.

The persistent tingling feeling I mentioned is more like feeling light in that feet.

Attachments

• IMG-20201230-WA0001~2.jpg
    IMG-20201230-WA0001~2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 164
Hi there-

I don't think people here will disagree with an emg that is "normal" straight across the board. If you do not believe the qualifications of the person conducting the emg, then you would have to decide whether to book another one or not. Hip pain and tingling feet do not really fit into the constellation of symptoms that indicates ALS. It might not even indicate neurological disease. Please read here for more information if you haven't already, as it outlines a few things and may answer your questions.

You have no symptoms of ALS. I would think the EMG was to rule out spine damage that might cause the tingling in your feet, but "feeling light" is not the same. I would make sure your shoes are adequate, that you walk and stretch every day, etc. An exercise program might well help your hip feel better, also. Hips have a tendency to get tight if we are not actively exercising them. You can find lots of videos illustrating exercises to try.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks Shiftkicker and Laurie for taking the time out.

I went through the link and all the points. Its very difficult for me to heel walk on Right foot as compared to left. Can only take 3-4 steps. I am very worried about this now. The EMG was also not done on the feet but on calves. Since any nerve injury is ruled out from NCS, this is very worrisome for me. Please advice on the next steps.

they don’t emg feet. At least not that I ever heard. The muscles that control things like toe and heel walk are in your legs not feet. If you have a concern check with your doctor

The failing part is what is happening with me. I am not able to put any weight on my right heel. It's just collapses. It was not happening two days ago. I already had EMG of 2 muscles in my leg. I will go to the Doctor again. Although everything seems very scary now, I hope for some better news.

I had a query ... Does able to walk only 2-3 steps on heel a big Red Flag ?

No. For 2 reasons first it usually happens at once / can , then can’t. Secondly there are many many many more common reasons even for complete loss.

you need to go see your doctor. Self testing, obsessing and posting here are all unhealthy behaviors. Make an appointment, stop testing yourself and stop reading / posting about ALS. Live your best life until you see your doctor

Advice Noted . Thanks a lot Nikki.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back