Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
us
State
ohio
City
clyde
I am in the maintenance field and have been having issues with dropping tools and parts along with having issues climbing and balance along with weekness on my right side which is making my work extremely hard. After having twitches in my right hand my doctor sent me to a neurologist and I after giving him him my history of being a Desert Storm veteran he examined me and noticed fascilations in my right leg. He told me he is concerned about ALS and set up an EMG, MRI of upper and lower spine and brain, plus an EEG. I have personally known two people who had ALS and I know what they went through and I also explained to him that I have muscle pain with this. I guess my question is, is he going overboard or is he on the right path. I don't want to tell my wife of this because she was the caregiver to her uncle who had ALS and it took a toll on her. Thank you for your response and stay strong.

Hi, J, thank you for your service.

The truth is, we don't and won't know if he's on the right path until the results are in, but since something is clearly wrong, your doc wants to rule out a lot of things in a short time, and try to give you answers as soon as he can. Muscle pain may or may not relate to everything else, so just having pain doesn't rule out ALS.

As you know, the odds are still very much in your favor, so it's understandable that you would wait for more information before sharing with your wife. Of course, I hope you have something treatable, but either way, keep us posted.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back