Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
South Lanarkshire
City
Lanark
Hello people, I am firstly sorry I am posting this, I have read the sticky and many threads but I could do with just some simple advice and thoughts directly to my fiancee's position from people who know this disease probably better than a lot of Dr's! It is really taking its toll on his mental health to the point I am worried.

My fiancee (25 years old) and I are getting married in 3 weeks and to be honest this build up to wedding is getting ruined by his constant fear of ALS every since googling his symptoms.

For past 6 weeks he has had fasciculations constant in his legs ( I have seen them and they do look like worms under the skin) and says he has them elsewhere very regularly such as arms, I am yet to see these though. He constantly thinks his grip is weak, and his left hand is slightly smaller than his right (he is right handed though).

He still goes to the gym and says he isn't noticeably weaker anywhere. He even said last week he lifted a bit more than usual.

If the twitches in ALS are caused by the muscle dying as I have read, then after 6 weeks of constant twitching surely he would notice a reduction in strength at the gym? if not even in his daily activities like walking the dog or moving house as he is?

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. We have been to see his GP who wasn't to sure at all. He did some basic tests and found nothing but has referred to neuro just incase (which has made my fiancee even more anxious) .

Thank you again,

R

I'm sorry to hear this putting a shadow on your upcoming wedding.

I do think the sticky is really clear - twitching means nothing. Only a doctor has a chance of convincing you both however. All the best, this should be the most wonderful time of your life!

Twitching can mean so many things. Stress and muscle overuse (both unrelated to ALS) are two of them.

Stop Googling. If it takes a doctor to convince you, get him to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back