Diagnosis
02/2012
Country
US
State
GA
City
Thomasville
Any suggestions on how I can purchase a Vitamix blender for cheap? My husband is going to be needing everything puréed before too long, I understand these are the best but are very cost prohibitive. Any recipe ideas out there that may satisfy a stubborn husband who still wants to eat little morsels of solid food but chokes and hacks his way through every bite? Yes, he has a PEG but only uses it for meds. Yes, I'm scared he'll aspirate. He can still swallow liquids, drinks 4 Boost Pluses a day, no problem. And he loved the lobster bisque he had last night from a local restaurant. I'd love to prepare something puréed that's yummy so he'll not choke! Any ideas? Thanks. This is tough.

Hi,

My CALS at home are basically making purée food for me.
I can no longer eat solid food because of the risk of chocking. I still can drink liquids (such as water) normally, though.
My CALS have a hard time pureeing the food because they don't have a blender. They do it the old fashioned way (manually).

Something they purée for me as a dessert is strawberry cheesecake, it's yummy and I don't have problems chocking while swallowing it.

About the blender, have you checked online through G o o g l e, if that blender can be purchased for cheap at a reputable site?
I was checking and yes, the prices are indeed prohibitive (around $400 the cheapest one).

I wish I could be more helpful. Probably later other CALS may chime in on this thread and offer better advice to you.

Best regards,

NH

Vitamix used to give a discount if you have a medical necessity. I could not find it on their we bsite but did find the forms for 2012 on a we b search. Maybe email customer service and ask if it is still an option?

Last edited:
The discount used to be 25% with a doctor's note, I agree with Nikki - call them!

Consistency wise, if he can handle it, I would reserve a small amount of proper consistency food and mix it into the puree. It makes it less nauseating. Also, avoid fatty sauces, the Vitamix is so good it will break the emulsion and they won't taste like anything at all.

ECpara, i came across some good tips and links for purée foods on rose's blog. I like to use different nut butters or use a coffee grinder to ground nuts, flax, hemp seeds, nutella and stuff for my smoothies to add a variety to the meal replacement drinks. I have heard good things about the vitamix too and was wondering if a "regular" cheaper blender could be used instead or is it just something that would lead to frustration.

Not to brag, but Ya'll I am the queen of puree.

I use a regular food processor--not a blender. blenders do not get as fine as a food processor. I have always heard the vitamix is the best but do not use one. I have owned many, many food processors--and ended up with a $40 Kitchenaid from Lowes of all places. don't need a big one--only puree just enough for the meal at hand. I have burned out many more expensive big ones because I use it 3 times a day. I figure I can replace the $40 food processor multiple times for the same money. the funny thing is the $40 one has lasted 3 times as long as the last $200 Cuisinart I bought!

When my husband started choking on food, first I was just cutting it up teeny tiny which doesn't really work as we all know. to get my husband use to pureed food, I started with things like tuna salad and chicken salad thick soups and stews and casseroles. I am lucky since my husband is not picky at all! He eats exactly what I make for the family--just pureed.

I stay away from rice, pasta and breads, since they thicken way too much and make the food like stucco. so in the beginning, I would make tuna salad and puree it. my husband would get it with extra mayo I would have it as a sandwich. Maybe spaghetti the next night--mostly sauce for him pureed with just a little bit of noodles and cheese. any soup can be pureed and will look like a cream soup. I add a little powdered potatoes to it to thicken. I will puree cooked bacon and add to scrambled or poached eggs. Pureed taco meat with refried beans and all the fixins, sprinkled with pureed taco shell or Dorito chips for flavor.

I think the biggest thing is to get past the yucky look and consistence of pureed food. that is why I started with things that are not too much a stretch of the imagination.

B

I agree with Barbie - I just use a Sunbeam Oskar food processor that is relatively inexpensive for my mom's food. I always keep cans of wedding soups and chicken soups on hand, as long as you don't add all of the broth they are the perfect consistency. I also frequently use frozen Tyson chicken tenders, they are already seasoned, and I add mayo and chicken broth to the Oskar. If I make pasta I will blend it with extra sauce or chicken broth. She really enjoys all of these things and with the Oskar they are super-easy to make. Hope this helps.

My husband bought a Bullet at WM and it works great

We got a HealthMaster (the one Montel Williams advertises) It runs about $200 and held up well. I won't tell you how many other blenders we burned out! It's still working.. but now it makes wonderful margaritas and daquiris.

This is a follow-up. Just wanted to let those who responded know that I wrote to Vita-mix, they got back to me. They are offering us a rebuilt model 5200 for $250 (normally $400 new), with a doctor's note. I just got the doctor's note, I'm going to bite the bullet and buy it! We move into our new home we're building in less than a month, look forward to cooking again and puréeing some of my recipes for my husband. It's worth a try and he's willing!

ECpara...a perfect house warming gift for you and hubby. Do you think you might try making a lobster bisque? I've been craving it so much since your first post that we actually went out and got the ingredients :) Wishing you all the best during the move.

Thanks Cricket! Actually, he loves lobster bisque from Red Lobster and also from our favorite haunt in Panama City Beach when we're there (Mikes Oyster Bar). So I won't be making my own because I doubt it would compare! But I am looking forward to "bisque-ing" other foods! If you come up with anything worth trying, let me know. My best to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back