Diagnosis
5/2014
Country
US
State
FL
City
Tampa
Apparently getting social security isnt a given for the spouse when the pals dies. It is age dependent. My son who has several disabilities, is being evaluated under the disability area as well as, the survivors benefits. We had been told previously he wouldnt qualify because of my earnings which made no sense to me.

Social security requires everyones official birth certificates, marriage license, and death certificate. Then you need all treating facilities names, addresses and phone numbers. You also have to schedule an interview that can be over the phone or in person. Social security starts, I was told, on the day the application is taken, not the date of passing. This is something to be done quickly. Appointments are booking 3 weeks out locally.

I thought you as the surviving spouse who is caring for a child under 16 or disabled could receive benefits at least until he is 16, longer if he is disabled? And I thought even if not disabled Julian can collect until he is at least 18 ( 19 if still in high school). I have been trying to look into this also though it is not up to me to apply for my niece. I did not think there was means testing for ss benefits? Only ssi? You husband earned those benefits

I am getting many conflicting answers Nikki. They are telling me Julien will get survivors benefits but the disability part isnup in the air and they say means tested. The last person I spoke with said that is not correct. We shall see when I do the interview on Wednesday. They said he can collect until 18 unless he is a fulltime student then it is 23 but confress is rrying to change that.

The latest for myself...because of my year of birth I wont be eligible until I am 60. Again I will find out when I do the interview.

Sounds bogus. When Krissy died, I was 55 and not at all poor. SS pretty quickly set me up for checks. I had two kids under 16. The school they're talking about is high school, not college.

The easiest explanation is at http (colon) //moneyover55.about.com/od/socialsecuritybenefits/a/Social-Security-Death-Benefits-Who-When-And-How-Much (dot) htm

Once both kids were 18, they shut it off. But I turned 60 the next month, so it turned back on.

So this is how it worked out today. Julien gets Steve's survivor benfits. I do not due to the amount of money I make. I do not get benefits with a minor child since I work fulltime and make too much money We did the application and everything but that was the final ruling. Julien, even though he has many disabilities and would qualify, does not because of the survivors benefits are higher than disability benefits. All this changes when he turns 18 and I turn 60. I think the rules must have been changed.

On a different note, I have had fraud on a bank account and credit card. Remember to turn on the fraud alerts!

I suggest you talk to an attorney who specializes in social security. An initial consultation is usually at no cost.

Whennyou use the link Nikki provided, it says basically the same thing I was told. My son is receiving the full amount so I am not too worried. My MIL used to work for SSI and had told me the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back