SOCIAL SECURITY FIRST VISIT
They said it was an identity check . Nothing else
i am vet 63 years young, ALS Diagnosed May 2016
quit working last year
still fighting

144 people read this thread
0 response
why bother ?

Have you applied for SSDI? If you have stopped working and applied for SSDI you should be getting your checks five months after your last work date.

I really don't understand your posted question.

Is this a SSDI audit to make sure you are still disabled? Are you able to go to the local SS place in your area. I've never really heard of them asking you to come in to verify identification, so I guess I need more information to answer your question.

I will attempt to take a guess at your questions. If my guess is wrong, please disregard this.

I am guessing that you have applied for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and as part of the process have been asked to go to a Social Security office to verify your identity.

I had to do the same thing. I had to physically make the trip to the office and show proof of my identity. I can't remember what proof was required, but I just brought along the documents they requested.

My total time with the Social Security representative was less than 5 minutes. I was in the office for about an hour, because there were many people and there was a long wait.

The closest Social Security office was about 75 miles away. When I arrived, there was handicap parking, but no accessible entrance. There was no ramp and the door to the office was spring loaded with a very heavy spring. I had a very difficult time opening the door. It would have been impractical to navigate the interior in a large power wheelchair because it was a very small office and the chairs were packed very tightly together.

When I got in, I needed to take a number. Unfortunately, there was no indication that I needed to do so. I waited about 10 minutes before I figured this out. Others arriving had obviously been there before and knew the system. I followed their lead.

The language of choice was spanish rather than english. I imagine this varies depending on the part of the country you are in. The representative I eventually met with spoke english.

I was not prepared for the large number of school aged children, who typically have greater exposure to respiratory germs that I am used to. Had I know, I would have probably brought a mask to better protect myself.

The office I went to was in a rural part of Colorado. I would expect the experience to be significantly different in a large city.

My SSDI was approved in about 3 weeks from the day we submitted the paperwork. That included the week it took me to organize the visit to the Social Security office.

Steve

My local SS office allowed me to call in and make an appointment. There were 50 people standing in line outside the door when I got there. It was accessible BUT the crowd made it hard. Fortunately, I was still walking good when I applied. It did take me 20 minutes to sign in but I was called after about 5 minutes. All I did was hand them my application. They asked for my driver's license and that was it. I was approved in less than two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back