katiejasper

Country
CA
State
BC
City
sechelt
Hi everyone
I am a 32 year old female with 2 beautiful boys (2 1/2 yrs and 11 weeks old).

A week before Christmas, my left thumb started twitching. I thought it was from holding my colicky baby hours a day or from working on the computer (I am a graphic designer). The twitching continued on and off.

New Years Day I woke up feeling achy from head to toe. Exhausted, nauseous, weak, very dizzy and couldn't get out of bed. I had a weird feeling that something just wasnt right, I felt very weird... but hoped it was just the flu... I also was experiencing muscle twitches ona nd off all over feet, left thumb still twiched, face, legs, arms, sometimes it felt like pins and needles. On and off. By day 5, I was in the bathroom on the floor (dry-heaving), and couldnt get up. I was so exhausted and it was like my legs woudlnt work. I ended up in Emergency - They ran thyroid test, blood sugar, chest xray etc. I was severely dehydrated so they chalked it up to a virus in combination with exhaustion and dehydration. The symptoms continued. Some days were better than others in terms of energy levels etc. I have lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks because I haven't felt like eating.

I went to the doctor about a week and a half ago. (She was on holidays the first week). She ran some more blood work and told me to eat and drink as much as possible. The new blood work came back with a bit of inflammation. The whole family also got the stomach flu a week ago, so she said it could be from that but that it was a bit concerning. I have managed to eat more and am making sure I drink lots of water and am less nauseous and a bit less dizzy, but sometimes I am so dizzy I wouldnt dare drive.... and the muscle twitches and weakness continue. I have also had a headache behind my left eye... so I went to the optometrist who didn't see anything abnormal in my brain.

It has been 3 weeks now. The left thumb, hand an forearm are still weak and my right quad has been weak for the last week. I sometimes limp a bit because I don't want it to give out from under me. My lower back is very sore. I had a car accident 10 years ago, so often have a sore back, but not this sore and achy. I have been taking tylenol for the aches and gravol for the nausea.

The doctor wants to see me this week if my symptoms haven't improved, so I will be going back to see her asap. I have improved in the nausea department... but the twitching, pins and needles and weakness has gotten worse especially in the left hand and right leg. I know this could be a few different things combined. Perhaps it was the flu for the first few days with dehydration etc... but it is the weakness and twitching and pins and needles that have had me concerned the most. Now my left arm is almost shaking. Yesterday my face started tingling on the right hand side and started feeling hot. I asked my husband to feel (in case I was imagining it) and it was in fact hot to the touch. The heat went away, but now my right cheek feels a little bit numb.

I have never experienced anything like this and have not been able to look after my kids on my own for the last 3 weeks. I am terrified something is seriously wrong with me and I know the stress of worrying doesn't help the situation.

I really appreciate any insight any of you may have!

Thank you kindly!

Sorry, one more symptom. It comes and gos, but sometimes it feels like there is a lump in my throat. Ie. It is hard to swallow my own spit. Thanks in advance!

It doesn't sound anything like ALS. Wait for your Doctors diagnosos and do as she says. The worst thing you can do is come here trying to self diagnose. Stay off this site. You'll just make your anxiety worse. Good luck!

Last edited:
Another satisfied patient of the quack doctor G--gle. If you honestly believe that you have something seriously wrong with you, you should be in a hospital emergency room, not on the ’Net looking up your symptoms.

l could understand your fear and anxiety with two small children .After a baby hormones rage causing depression anxiety .Did you have an epidural for your eleven week old baby.
Please don't think the worse it may be a easy fix.
If so try wet heat on the area and some anti inflammatory and see your doctor if symptoms persist.

Good luck

I would not worry about ALS from what you have described. Allow your Dr to do their job and figure out what is causing your symptoms. The worst thing you can do for yourself is hang around here and allow your anxiety and fear to run rabid and fill your head with thoughts and concerns that do not match up to your reality.

Best of luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back