Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
AUS
State
Qld
City
Brisbane
Firstly, I would like to thank everyone that has taken the time to read this. It is very much appreciated.

For about 6 months my arms ( left arm in particular has felt 'funny'. Like a slight weakness but not enough to even think about properly. But in the last few days it has escalated! My grip strength has seemingly decreased. (I've had it measured by a Physio and it's lower than what's considered notrmal but it's my first measurement so nothing to compare to). And it's like I have to really tell my arm to work. But my fine motor skills are still all there (buttoning shirts etc). But it is starting to feel clumsy. I have mostly no pain, just sometimes a little twinge. And little twitches have started now in my hand and arm.

My main question is around the weakness feeling. I've read a lot that it's about failing not feeling. The fact that it's getting progressively worse, is that a failing? Do you get progressively worse or is it fully functioning one day and not the next?

Next is the time. Would you expect to be worse after 6 months, or is that a normal progression
time?

And finally, would I feel a weakness? As in my muscle always feels tense. I have no other way to describe it sorry. I can feel that it's not going to work.

Thanks again so much for you time. I'm trying not to go out of my mind with worry. But it's starting to consume my thoughts.

Krissy,

When the sticky says "failing," that means you cannot do something. "Getting worse" would mean that you could do fewer and fewer things.

You say that you have to "tell" the muscle to work, but that's not possible. It either works, or not.

You say that you can "feel that it's not going to work," but it is.

We would advise you to see a physician to reassure yourself as to whether you have "normal" strength and whether s/he finds any cause for concern. And it is always worthwhile to try carpal tunnel releases such as you can find on YouTube, as many people spend too much time keyboarding, or do it in a less-than-ergonomic position. The physio you saw may be able to help.

Finally, reconsidering your diet, sleep, exercise and stress can yield significant dividends and help you lead the life you deserve, presuming the absence of a treatable medical condition in your case.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks you so much for your quick reply. My worry really is starting to consume me. I had a baby about 7 months ago and I had just put it down to muscle fatigue but the last few days symptoms have dramatically escalated as I said. It's hard to keep my head clear.

As I said, my grip test was outside normal. But the Physio did a range of other 'tests' where I had to push against his pressure in different positions. He also tested my reflexes and said they seem normal. Do you know if this is an appropriate way to try eliminate ALS?

Testing strength and reflexes is on point, but I would see a physician, beyond the physio, to rule out a range of illnesses, not just ALS, which is really not what you have described. There is a difference in training.

The odds are very much against anything serious, but it's a more appropriate way to reassure yourself than we can provide here.

That is reassuring to know that the Physio performed appropriate tests. I've had some bad experience with health professionals telling me the wrong things.

Thank you so much for your time. I have a GP appointments booked now, so hopefully some answers soon.

Thanks again, and all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back