Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CA
City
Fresno
I'm a 35 year old woman. I have two small children. Since beginning of June , I started to have muscle pain in my quads, calves, biceps, triceps.
Muscle twitching all over my body and muscle weakness everywhere. I'm losing muscle strength. I can tell because every time I use a muscle (squatting, picking up small boxes or groceries, doing my hair) I feel like I've done a major workout. It has progressed pretty quickly since June, and I am walking slowly and feeling like I may need a wheelchair in about two weeks!

I have muscle atrophy in my right thigh, just above my knee. The muscle doesn't flex as much as the other side. If something brushes against my legs, I feel like my reflex wants to jump a mile high.

I have a slight burning sensation in my muscles, especially in my thighs, my back, neck and shoulders.
sometimes my thumbs and fingers stiffen up when I type.

I am having swallowing issues and a 24/7 feeling of something stuck in my throat. I have to keep clearing my throat and coughing.

I'm SO SCARED this is ALS. My maternal grandfather died from ALS. I have a neuro apt. in early Sept.

Crystal,
Please read the Sticky/Pinned post intriguingly titled Read Before Posting.

That will answer your questions and should reassure you.

Having one relative with ALS doeas NOT make it more likely that you will get ALS.

Crystal, everything Greg says is true, and there are many explanations for what you describe. Since the neuro appointment is a few weeks away, you may want to visit your PCP meanwhile, to baseline your strength, possibly draw some labs, and discuss some of those possible explanations.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back