Diagnosis
04/2008
Country
US
State
CA
City
Claremont
In three weeks we are taking a long-over due vacation - to Hawaii. My legs are still fine (very rare fasciculations there but my arms are weaker and weaker. I had my first FVC/FVL test last week and hit 90%, that sounds good to me. In college (many years ago) I played waterpolo so I think I'll be OK. Anyone else here snorkel with ALS?:eek:

I don't know for sure about snorkeling; however, for the first two years I had ALS (before diagnosis), I was swimming several miles a week. It seems to me snorkeling would be in bounds unless you are too weak. My motto with stuff like this is not to get myself into situations that I can't get out of if I need to. Hey, you're always supposed to swim with a buddy anyway. Enjoy your trip. :-D

I was diving in the Philippines when I first noticed my fasciculations. I had to be helped up the boat ladder because of weakness. Didn't know it was ALS until 9 months later. Went diving that winter 1 last time. We're all different but I'd go snorkelling but wear a vest.
AL.

Have a wonderful vacation! My George was an expert diver and would LOVE TO BE GOING WITH YOU! So have a great time and be sure to post us all the lovely details of your island vacation. :-D

God bless you and a safe journey,
Patty & George

Thank you all for your support and suggestions. I feel better about it now. With the salt water and my good legs, I will probably go without a vest - I live on the edge!

Snorkelling should not be an issue.

I was an avid diver before my diagnosed but now restrict myself to snorkelling.

I have atrophy and weakness in my hands and arms + bulbar symptoms. Legs so far unaffected.

Since my diagnosed I've gone on snorkelling trips to French Polynesia, Indonesia, Galapagos, Florida and Fijii an have one last planned to GBR.

The primary limitation for me is not being able to free dive any significant depth due to having trouble trying to pinch my nose to equalize. I'd have to use both hands and it was a pain. I also had trouble removing my lycra shirt and hauling myself up onto a boat was sometimes more than I could handle especially with 4-5 ft swells. Sometimes if the water was really cold my lungs would feel like they were being constricted.

I never wore a vest but always wore fins. If your snorkelling off a boat you may want to wear a belt to give someone something to grab onto to help you into the boat.

Have a great trip!

Great comment, thanks. We have similar symptoms! Legs OK, but arms and hands weak. Perfect for snorkeling, and I always use fins so I am ready, and good idea about getting pulled up into a boat. Aloha! (in 2 weeks that is)

I am back from Hawaii, a GREAT vacation! I did try snorkeling once, but my problem was I couldn't expel (blow out) my air sufficiently. I could breathe in thru the snorkel, but I couldn't blow it out. So, I came into shore while my wife and daughters swam with the sea turtles! Oh well, everything else was wonderful! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back