smile a little

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caroline, I understand--I sent the joke to 2 of my brothers with an intro note explaining it was a joke from this forum. I also sent it to Phil, who'd never worry anyway. But, you see, I am a very old friend of "Bill W"--so old a friend I hope that's his name, lolol. I also, unlike you, first read the joke in this section.

Allen, good joke!

Ditto Anne, I often don't understand stuff I read. It's interesting how cultures differ in the use of the English language.

Right Aly--yes, the language within one country also can change from area (pop vs. soda!), and every century brings about the end of many words. Words used 100 years ago are archaic now...or have vastly different meanings. "Jug or kettle" comes along and, bam.

We perhaps should let the Brits call the shots on the language issues. Right off, I remember they smoke fags rather than cigarettes, so maybe a bad idea!

That's okay Olly, after reading Egbar's post, I thought he was going to pull a "Kimberly". I must have missed that e-mail also.

Allen, you're my 1 reason for staying on right now....LOVE your sense of humor!

"England and America are two nations separated by a common language." -- Unknown, variously attributed to George Bernard Shaw, Oscar Wilde, and Winston S. Churchill.

Add in the Canadians, the Aussies, and the Kiwis -- let the merry chase begin.

ayup anne an aly,thas tekin thi mick outa us brits lingo ( my native yorkshire dilect).............you say potata ,we say potato.........you sat tomata,we say tomato.........you say chips,we say crisps.
si thi laters.

Last edited:
GUD on ya mate.

How about vittles and fixin's? Get the fixin's for the burgers Means get the ketchup, onion, lettuce.

How about the south language, I'm fixin to get the fixin's for the burgers. You unt some?

We eat fush and chups.

ayup anne an aly,thas tekin thi mick outa us brits lingo ( my native yorkshire dilect).............you say potata ,we say potato.........you sat tomata,we say tomato.........you say chips,we say crisps.
si thi laters.

olly,

I spend a lot of time listening to the various BBC local radio stations that stream their programming on the Internet and just happened to be listening to BBC Sheffield this afternoon. I especially like some of the morning phone-in chat shows that pop up late mornings your time -- the accents are great -- and I rarely miss Ian Anderson on BBC Radio Scotland (near midnight your time). What a voice! And some great stories, along with music from my favorite era.

And you say chips, while we say fries, and "biscuits" where we say "cookies". Don't know what you would make of one of my favorite breakfasts -- biscuits and sausage gravy. Which is OK: I never understood sausage and stewed tomatoes for breakfast or "ragmop" as an appetizer when I was over there as a young man.

Not to mention the "interesting" meanings of our slang words. "Do you enjoy having a fag after a shag?" -- an audio Rorschach test. ;)

I just found this Boston slang "primer" and had to share it with you's guys (see "Y")!

Boston slang consists of words and phrases of slang originating from Boston. Though most often used in Boston, the slang can also be heard in other cities of Massachusetts...

A
alls - common substitute for "all that." ("Alls I know," "alls I want," etc.)

B
bagged - arrested; "He got bagged for a DUI."; (Driving Under the Influence)
bang - to make a left turn (often, "bang a left"; also used often as "bang a U-ie" - make a U turn); sometimes used interchangeably with hang
barrel - trash can
The Basement - Filene's Basement, a department store in Downtown Crossing
Beacon Hill - the Massachusetts government, particularly the State legislature
Beantown - Boston (seldom used by Bostonians)
Big Dig - the Central Artery Tunnel Project
BoSox - See Sox (Seldom used within New England, national slang to differentiate from the ChiSox, or White Sox of Chicago)
Brahmin - Boston Brahmin
breakdown lane - right margin or shoulder on highways used for broken down vehicles. Cars can drive in the breakdown lane at certain hours on some Massachusetts highways.
Da Broons - Reference to the Boston Bruins, also often called The B's.
bubbler [pron. bubblah] - water fountain
bulkhead - outdoor entrance to the basement

C
The Cape - Cape Cod
Children's - Children's Hospital Boston
chowdah [chowder] - New England clam chowder, or occasionally fish chowder. Never, never, the Manhattan variety of clam chowder.
chowderhead (sometimes chowdahead) - stupid person
Chuck Rivah - the Charles River
Comm Ave - Commonwealth Avenue
The Combat Zone - the red light district of Boston that used to exist between Downtown Crossing and Chinatown
The Common - Boston Common
cruiser [pron. crew-zah] - a police car

D
down cellar (pronounced "down sellah") - refers to a basement
Down East - A section of the Maine coast that is actually north of Boston

E
Eastie - East Boston
elastic - rubber band

F
frappe [pron. frap] - a milkshake made with ice cream
G
The Gahden - a reference to the Boston Garden home of the Boston Celtics and the Boston Bruins
grinder [pron. "grind-ah"] - A submarine sandwich. Some insist that a grinder is toasted, while a sub is not.
The Gator - Mike Greenwell, former Left Fielder for the Red Sox who resides in Southwest Florida

H
hang - to make a right turn ("hang a right"); sometimes used interchangeably with bang
the Hill - Beacon Hill
Hoodsie (1) - A small cup of vanilla and chocolate ice-cream from the HP Hood Company. Eaten with a thin wooden spoon that comes with the Hoodsie.
hook - used interchaneably with hang; ("hook a right")
hosey - to claim ownership of something; ("I hosey the front seat.")
The Hub - Boston; shortened from Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.'s phrase The Hub of the Solar System (often misremembered as Universe) (seldom used in conversation, but seen often in writing and advertisements, e.g. in the Boston Globe)

I
the Irish Riviera - the South Shore coastal suburbs to the southeast of Boston such as Hingham and Weymouth

J
JP - Jamaica Plain

L
the Leather District - the neighborhood surrounding South Street in Boston
"like a bastard" - an excess of something ("It's raining like a bastard outside.")

M
Man's Greatest Hospital - Massachusetts General Hospital (alternatively, the medical-industrial complex)
Mass Ave - Massachusetts Avenue
M*******s - derogatory term for residents of Massachusetts, especially of Boston drivers (popular in New Hampshire).
Me'fah or Med'fah - Medford, Massachusetts; an exaggerated pronunciation of the way the city's name is supposed to sound when it's pronounced by its residents; even if no one in Medford pronounces it that way, people living in Greater Boston will refer to the city by that name. Residents generally pronounce it "Med'fid".
milkshake - milk mixed with flavored syrup; differs from frappe by not including ice cream
The Mother Church - First Church of Christ, Scientist in Boston

P
packie (also package store) - liquor store
Pats - the New England Patriots
the People's Republic - Cambridge (alternatively, seven square miles surrounded by reality)
The Pike - the Massachusetts Turnpike, also the Mass Pike
pissa (1) - cool, good: "You hit the Lottery? That's pissa man."; less commonly it can be used instead of pissed to mean drunk: "I had ten beers last night. I was wicked pissa!"
pissa! (2) - used as an exclamation when something goes wrong: "Oh pissa!", he shouted as his car keys fell down the storm drain.
the Point - the City Point area of South Boston
P-town - Provincetown, Massachusetts

R
Red Sox Nation - the collective group of Sox fans that span the US and beyond. Red Sox Nation is seen in the immense crowds of Sox fans that gather even at visiting parks.
retahded - an idiot
Rhodie - someone who is from Rhode Island
The River - the Charles River

S
sketchy - A term used, most often by teenagers, referring to something strange or out of place (such as a suspicious person).
skidder - referring to someone who bums (borrows) money from friends. Pronounced "skiddah".
Slumerville - A derogatory term for Somerville, MA, referring to its working-class population. Now rarely used due to gentrification.
smoot - a unit of measurement used to mark the length of the Harvard Bridge. Also used as a point of reference by MIT students; ("Are you past the 182 (smoot mark) yet?" "Nah, we're still in Hell.")
Southie - South Boston; also used for residents of the area
spa - neighborhood shop that sells groceries, soda fountain drinks, sandwiches (or other prepared food) and miscellaneous notions.
sub - submarine sandwich, or the bread it was made with.
Sox (also The Sox) - the Boston Red Sox; pronounced "socks" or "So-AX".
The Square - Harvard Square
statie - Massachusetts state trooper, or police officer

T
The T - the subway - Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Taxachusetts - derogatory political state title and comparative reference to the limited taxation of neighboring New Hampshire
The Teddy or The Ted - The Ted Williams Tunnel
The Tip - The Thomas P. O'Neill Jr. Tunnel
tonic - soft drink, soda
Tory Row - historic neighborhood of Cambridge, home to prominent British sympathizers before the American Revolution
townie - In the strictest sense, a resident of Charlestown, Massachusetts; or more broadly someone from Somerville or South Boston or the other Irish-Catholic enclaves of Boston and surrounding areas. Also used as an adjective for the accent of those areas
triple decker - a three-story, three-family house, also called a "three decker".

V
The Vineyard - Martha's Vineyard
W
Westie - West Roxbury
whip - to throw; "I whipped the ball at his head."
whoopie pie - a pastry first sold commercially at the Berwick Cake Factory in Dudley Square, Roxbury
wicked - very; or occasionally cool. Used indiscriminately, can modify anything (e.g.: "Wicked good." "Wicked bad." "Wicked boring.", etc.). Almost always used as an adverb, rather than an adjective; some Bostonians feel it is grammatically improper not to put an adjective or verb after "wicked".
wicked pissa - awesome, very cool

Y
Yaz - Carl Yastrzemski, long time left fielder for the Red Sox.
you's guys - Phrase meaning "all of you" or "you all"

That's great Helen! Loved it.
Allen is that Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull? I know he has a salmon farm in Scotland.

That's great Helen! Loved it.
Allen is that Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull? I know he has a salmon farm in Scotland.

No, not the same guy. I misspelled his name -- it's Iain, not Ian. Apparently, he's a longtime radio host in Scotland. Think Patrick Stewart's accent, but with a deeper and stronger voice. A mildly Scottish version of Orson Welles or James Earl Jones.

There is a former rock musician doing a weekly radio show for CBC in Canada -- Randy Bachman, formerly of the Guess Who and Bachman Turner Overdrive. He tells some great stories, too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back