Slurred Speech & Driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

COlisa

Distinguished member
OK, this might sound weird, but I am getting paranoid about it.

My husband's slurred speech makes it sound like he's had alot to drink (in fact, he doesn't drink any alcohol at all any more and doesn't take anything other than vitamins).

I am worried that he will someday get pulled over for speeding or something & the cops will think he's been drinking because of how he sounds.

Does anyone carry a note from your Dr. or anything that explains the speech? If so, what does it say?

Thanks!
COlisa

I don't carry a note for that but it is a good point. I have a note for my Bipap machine when I travel that it must be cabin baggage and is fragile from my Respirologist. I would think your Neuro or GP would write up something to the effect of that he has bulbar ALS and has lost his ability to speak clearly. He could show it to them and then write whatever he has to say to them. If his writing is still legible (mine isn't) it shouldn't be a problem. AL.

Speech & driving

When I went to be assessed at the ALS clinic the speech therapist wrote out a few business cards stating that I had difficulty with speech because of ALS but that I could hear, understand and to be a little patient. I have not had to use them yet but I now have lost the ability to speak. Hopefully your husband can try that.

Regards Jingles

Al said:
I don't carry a note for that but it is a good point. I have a note for my Bipap machine when I travel that it must be cabin baggage and is fragile from my Respirologist. I would think your Neuro or GP would write up something to the effect of that he has bulbar ALS and has lost his ability to speak clearly. He could show it to them and then write whatever he has to say to them. If his writing is still legible (mine isn't) it shouldn't be a problem. AL.
I HAVE A BRACLET ON THAT SAYS SLURRED SPEECH ALS AND I CARRY A NOTE FROM MY MD. PAT

Good idea Pat.

I have made my husband laminated cards-he carries one in his wallet and the others are in the glove box of the vehicles with the registration. It says his name and that he has ALS [Lou Gehrig's Disease] and that his speech is effective but his hearing and mental abilities are fully intact! [in other words, don't speak louder as if he were deaf or treat him like he is mentally challenged!]] Our home number and my cell number plus his Neurologists name and phone number. God, can you only imagine if he had to do a field sobriety test?!
I told him that it would be the perfect opportunity to curse and no one will have a clue! Hey, we just have to laugh sometimes!

I understand. Rick can't walk a straight line either. He has trouble getting in and out of the car too. Boy, he'd sure look drunk!

Had not thought of that , its a great tip.

Especially, for me , a person that has a habit of paying "Excessive Road Taxes"

I guess I should refrain from smart-ass remarks like:

"You should have seen how fast I could go when I was not sick"
"OH YA , pick on the slow guys"
"What ? you saw the blue sticker and thought that you could catch that one ?"

Glen

The problem in LA is that if you reach for your wallet or the glove box, you're liable to end up dead. The normal routine would be for the driver to say, "I'm going to get my wallet, OK?" or "I need to get something from the glove box, OK?" but if we can't be understood, that won't work.

That's one of the reasons I started wearing a laminated card around my neck. Now, I have stopped driving, so that problem is solved!

sheesh You are just tooo hysterical GlennBrittle! I reread my post and I made a huge typo! HIS SPEECH IS AFFECTED and definately NOT effective! lolol BethU, how true-I never even thought of that! :0

So true Beth! That can happen anywhere! My husband was pulled over pre-diagnosed by an over zealous rookie. What a nightmare. Hubby had paid a parking ticket in downtown Atlanta that had never gotten posted to their books, so there was a warrant out for him. LOL Do you know how many people in the Atlanta area have that happen to them? It's ridiculous! My husband went to reach for his glove box to retrieve registration and what he thought might be a parking ticket receipt, only to have a gun drawn on him! This was after he explained what he was doing mind you! Another cop came to "assist" and told the rookie to calm down it's only a parking ticket for God's sake! Well, they hauled hubby off to jail basically saying "tell it to the judge!" Any apologies for that mistake by the Atlanta police? Yeah right! Dream on. Now he keeps that proof of the paid ticket on his visor (and has been very careful to get no more tickets of any sort) and he usually wears his laminated cards around his neck, plus I have another emergency card in his wallet.

You never know what kind of knucklehead "hero" may stop you. I come from a family of law enforcement, so I speak from experience. ;)

i have a question how did you know it was time to stop driving ? i know it must be a hard thing to do or did someone point out it is time to stop driving

You will know. As a driver you will know when it becomes unsafe to drive.

tdamess, I was getting uncomfortable driving because the wheel was hard to turn at a slow speed .. like backing out of a parking space. I figured I was surely losing strength with the wheel at higher speeds too, but was unaware of it yet. It reached the point where sometimes I had my husband help turn the wheel while backing out, and I figured that was it.

ALS sneaks up on you so gradually, I didn't want to "discover" I couldn't turn the wheel hard enough in an emergency. Also, I worried about my "brisk reflexes" ... that too could be bad news when driving.

Oddly, it wasn't a hard decision. I loved to drive, but not in this condition.

Came back again to comment: I have been told that at least here where we live, should Rick get in an accident while driving, he would get sued and lose when it were found out that he has ALS. I am planning on doing all the driving before the possibility of that happening seems a reality.

I wouldn't want him to have a tag on a necklace or something similar for the officer to see!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back