Slurred speech and the telephone

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimKay Greene

Hello,
My sister-in-law has recently (June) been diagnosed with ALS. Her speech is quite slurred, and she has a very difficult time being understood, especially on the telephone. We are trying to find a way to help her communicate, and think that a TTY machine might be the only solution. She is not (yet) on-line, and so much of her communication is with the help of her brother (my husband) and me. Does anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone know if the ALS Society rents the TTY machines? Thanks in advance! :) Kay and Jim Greene (for Betty)

Hi Jim:

There are devices available that can help with communication. Some synthesizers and laptops. As for availability, it is difficult to tell what your sister is eligible for without knowing where you are from. In Canada there is an ADP (Assistive Devices Program) that is available and stuff from the local ALS society.
Good Luck

T

you might try your local phone company . i have a phone that i can listen to the other person, then type my answers, and an operator reads to them what i type. this was provided free of charge through my states' relay service...although i did need a written script from a speech therapist. also when she can use a computer there is also a free relay phone service. also very easy to use and very convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back