Diagnosis
07/2019
Country
UK
State
LO
City
London
In last 15 years I always had high cholesterol levels, especially bad cholesterol LDL, but recently when I had fast progression I notice that my cholesterol levels have dropped down, I do blood test every week.

Quickly I managed to raise my cholesterol levels again and my progression stopped. This intrigued me to contact leading neurologist from Massachusetts hospital in Boston and team leader of neurologists in Australia.

In Boston they also noticed that patients with higher cholesterol levels live approximately 50% more than patients with low cholesterol levels, however until today there isn't any clinical trial that can support this and one needs to be done.

in Australia they told me that they did research regarding metabolism and they find out that patients with slower metabolism also get slower progression. Now I will try to slow my metabolism to see results, if you want you can read about this research here

There has been some discussion on this topic over at ALSTDI.

Hypermetabolism is part of ALS, so it stands to reason that those in whom metabolism is not as disordered progress more slowly, which is why early weight loss may predict faster progression and a high-energy diet and some hyperlipidemia have been favorable prognostic factors in some observational studies. Some of that was part of your biology before ALS showed up, and part of how it showed up in the first place.

You can't make chickens and eggs out of two numbers that track with each other. Until more evidence emerges, it might be wiser not to target metabolism or cholesterol as numbers, as there are many unhealthy ways to affect those, but rather keeping your weight up and using a high-energy diet to do that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back