00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Toronto
hi everyone
Thank you for taking the time to read this and offer any thoughts/insights. I am an active 35 year old male who for the last 2.5 months (except last two weeks) has been working out very hard 6 days a week on an exercise bike. There wasn’t much physical activity before due to covid.

On Monday February 1st I noticed some muscle twitching in both calves. Thinking it was just something to do with the hard workout I let it slide. The calves were still twitching the next day so I went to Dr. Google and came across possibility of als. I immediately went to my doctor who did some muscle and strength tests (muscle resistance) and he did the hammer on my knee test for my neuron functions. He concluded that he doesn’t think I have als and was 99.999% sure of it. He thought it might be an electrolyte imbalance so did blood work which came back as me being dehydrated that day (of the blood test).

Fast forward two weeks and my calves are still twitching and I am starting to get concerened. I have been taking magnesium pills for the last week, and still have the twitching. I am used to occasionally twitching in the arms and butt but these have been constant for two weeks. This has me focused in on them and can’t avoid thinking about it. I haven’t experienced any muscle weakness or fatigue I have even made efforts to lift weights and do squats to ensure this is the case, but I can’t shake my worries.

I know it could be a lack of sleep and anxiety but I’m wondering if it could be something more. My doctor is going to schedule a neurology appointment to put my mind at ease. I have spoken to another doctor who feels it could just be trauma from the hard workout but after two weeks it’s concerning. My doctor even said this could be something I have permanently and just live with.
I have no family history or no other symptoms but cannot shake this feeling.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Calf twitching is very common and lack of sleep/anxiety don't help. Try a drop or two of magnesium lotion on a couple of hot spots. Going from 0 to 60 on workouts can definitely have an effect. Make sure you stretch before getting on the bike. A stretching regimen like classical stretch takes only a few minutes a day.

As you may have read, benign fasciculation syndrome (BFS) is a real thing and people do adjust, if that's what you have. If you were dehydrated during the blood draw, you are probably on the brink a lot. Try staying more hydrated with fruit juice or something with potassium (you can cut it with water for fewer calories), but not sports drinks.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks so much Laurie I appreciate your thoughts. Going to try the drops and proper electrolyte refuel.
My worry was just with the twitches being something more serious (despite what doctors have told me). Is there a timeline that these should normally subside or is this potentially something I just get used to? They aren’t bothersome by any means just noticeable when I look at my calves and start thinking about the twitching.
thank you

Hi everyone
Thanks for reading just a quick update. A month and a half later I am still experiencing the calve twitches, has even branched out occasionally to the buttock and quad. Getting some randomly in the arms as well. To ensure there is no weakness in the legs I have been exercising daily with legs, squats, one leg lunges, jumping rope, calve raises, some jogging etc. Doing some balancing on one leg and some exercises to strengthen my ankles. There has been no weakness or dropoff noticed.
I have been measuring my calf and Ankles multiple times a day to ensure there is no wasting or physical muscle loss. Ankles around 9” calves over 15 and no changes there.
I went to a chiropractor in case it was connected to my back (I have had back pain for almost 10 years) he did more neurological tests (babinski test, my toes curled slightly downward) and some strength tests which he said he had no worries.
Things I have done to try and improve my situation
Proper hydration 5 litres of water per day
Magnesium supplements 2 pills per day
B vitamins
Vitamin d.
Hasn’t seem to help with the twitches yet, I’ve done my best to try and forget about it as it might be contributing to the stress.
I have my neuro appointment in two weeks and going back to the doctor Saturday to ask a few more questions. With the twitches still persisting is this something to worry about?
Any insight is greatly appreciated

thank you

No. Look up bfs ( benign fasciculation syndrome). Consider joining the reddit bfs group. You will find many people like you. I am sure your neurologist will reassure you

good luck

Thanks for the reply Nikki, I should have also mentioned I went to a naturopath who mentioned he thinks it’s stress related, which this hasn’t helped the situation.
Is there a way to tell the difference in terms of twitches between als and bfs?

thank you again

No by the the twitches themselves. But twitching alone means nothing without clinical weakness and exam abnormalities.

5 litres of water a day? A couple is more like it. Unless your lifting is much more than you make it sound, that much water could cause mineral imbalances (wash out the good stuff) in itself. Overhydrating is also not great for your heart.

Last edited:
Hi everyone
Wanted to do a quick update. Thanks for the replies they really help with the mental aspect of this. I just had my neuro appointment on Thursday and they did a full exam. I started off by connecting to a machine that sent pulses to measure muscle responses in both calves (not sure of the name). I then did a full clinical, strength, sensory, reflexes in great detail. Then the doctor came in and did his own strength and reflex test sensory tests and I was hooked up with a needle in my right calf and it measured the twitches (I think this was an emg, forgot to ask based on nerves etc.)
The doctor told me I 100% do not have als. He told me that a lot of people go down this rabbit hole and it makes things a lot worse, everything on me was normal and he has zero issues. I had heard this from my gp, but needed to hear it from a neuro. While I still might have twitches forever I am very relieved that this was nothing sinister. With that said I want to say a huge thank you to you guys for helping support and keep me calm during this whole ordeal as I know a lot of us struggle with the health anxiety and having voices of reason really helps.
Thank you

congratulations. Thank you for reporting back. It makes us happy for you and helps future readers

have a long and happy life

Thanks so much Nikki and to you and everyone here as well. The work you guys do is amazing and help calm a lot of our nerves.
Thank you guys again I truly appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back