Diagnosis
09/2013
Country
US
State
TN
City
Powell
By way of introduction I live in the Knoxville, TN area and was diagnosed with ALS in September 2013 at Vanderbilt. I am retired Air Force.

The reason I am writing is I hope I may be able to help someone else out who may have leg twitches. My twitches are often triggered by what I call pinpricks, which may occur almost anywhere but especially in my legs, feet, and lower back. Realizing this is a progressive disease, I'm sure what I experience is going to morph with time, but my twitches and pinpricks aren't painful, just annoying. I could ignore them but they get especially intense when I am trying to fall asleep. I have lain awake all night long plagued by leg twitches that occur every few minutes ... just often enough to keep me awake.

I now have a solution! At least for the current situation. My daughter heard I was having lower back pain, so she bought me a vibrator pad (with heat). It's about three feet long and has four vibrating nodules spaced about a foot apart (in a square) that you're supposed to lay on. I tried it and it didn't seem to be helping my back very much so I stuck it out of sight. When I started getting a little desperate to get some sleep because of the leg twitches I tried the vibrator pad on my legs. "Presto digito" it solved the problem. I place the pad so the vibrating nodules hit in the area of my calves and ankles and keep it on all night. It not only caused the twitches to stop, but I have been able to get some sound sleep since I started using it.

If this helps someone else, please let me know.

Awesome! BTW, in my husband's case the twitching did subside with time. unfortunately it was the progression. :)

Wish I knew about that years ago but like barbies husband mine are less ofton with using baclofen .
I used to get myoclonus in my legs on a night the first 2yrs,legs would jump about and kick out.
Glad you found something that works......sleep is so important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back