Diagnosis
1/2015
Country
US
State
TX
City
Houston
My pals is in the latter stages now. He is having more difficulty being comfortable at night, even though we use cough assist before he goes to bed and he takes meds to help him. Last night we moved home to his recliner in the middle of the night. We have a high adjustable bed so we can raise or lower it, special mattress, etc. head or foot as well but he wanted to move to the recliner. He uses trilogy all night. Do some pals choose to sleep in their recliners?. It is very comfortable memory foam designed to fit him. Thanks for you insight, as always.

Annie

My Chris did until we got him a hospital bed. It was amazing the difference that made.

What he may be missing in the adjustable bed is the support of the recliner. Does his bed have an overlay on top of the mattress? What kind of mattress is it?

Hospital beds allow for "tilt" and "recline" in a sense that non-hospital beds don't. Without seeing his setup, it's hard to judge. Can he specify what makes him like the recliner more? For instance, he might need more padding or postural support for certain joints (knees, hips, elbows...)

What I've gathered here is that most PALS sleep in a hospital bed but a few prefer the recliner. I would be most worried about pressure injury in the recliner due to heat/moisture buildup and less pressure relief, so if you can check those off, I wouldn't have as many reservations about that choice.

Thank you. He slept in the bed all night last night and was comfortable. We do have an overlay and a special mattress that has no pressure points. We determined a new pillow may help so we ordered a special one that he thinks he will like. His recliner is memory foam and also has extra memory foam cushions on the seat and back with washable removable covers.

My PALS really loved his recliner for sleeping and then in the end he switched to the wheel chair. Every evening after moving him w. the hoyer he sat in the recliner he had this huge smile on his face. I still have the pictures :)
It gave him more support on the side(s) than a bed when his body would not hold him up any longer (also sideways) and the right side was weaker than the left. Friends had made him extra pillows for the recliner so it was kind of a custom fit.
BTW he did NOT want to use a hospital bed - never tried - and the day the hospice nurse would have put him in it for a procedure he decided he had had enough and left us.

I also want to say that towards the end we kept on looking for things that would make him more comfortable and that would give him relief - I particularly remember trying to find ways so that his head would be supported while he wanted to sit relatively upright... (bc of breathing and eye gaze) but in the last stretch there were increasingly less "fixes" no matter how hard we tried. Or there were only a few and for the rest we just kept on trying but had to accept that our options were limited as he was getting closer to his last breaths.

Thinking of you Annie!

I sleep in my recliner and spend most of the day in it too. I have modified it so I can control it hands free via computer, voice or smartphone. The chair has the brisa fabric that breathes well. Also has the power headrest. I have been fortunate to be comfortable and sore free for over 2 years now.

I have slept in recliner over 4 years. I sleep good after my son makes me comfortable. He often gets up one time during night to fix
my hands.
For me it's better than bed.

I use a soft mattress cover over recliner.
And I sit on a folded washable pad.
If you want want specifics inbox me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back