Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who has had numerous arterial blood gas drawn I would describe them as uncomfortable within the bigger picture of ALS/MND. If you really want to know I would not dismiss the test based on potential pain to you sister. Just ask for someone experienced in drawing them.

What in the world is the reason for a painful/uncomfortable test when the patient has already chosen to NOT use any extra equipment to keep her alive ?

Why not respect the lady's wishes ?

Bowser, not to worry, no one is going to push for the test. I was just curious as to how they would know co2 buildup. I like to understand that's all.

What in the world is the reason for a painful/uncomfortable test when the patient has already chosen to NOT use any extra equipment to keep her alive ?

Why not respect the lady's wishes ?[/QUOTE

Sis is just asking questions and rightly so.

I am just saying that I found arterial tests not a huge deal, it provides accurate information that some people want to know for a variety of reasons.

It seems to me like Sis is very much interested in respecting her sisters wishes from what she has said here.

Barbie, I was aware of C02 monitoring attached to breathing tubes but not finger probes, but I looked it up and there it was. I draw blood gases on a regular basis at the hospital, and I get mixed remarks. Some say they didn't feel a thing, the average say it wasn't too bad at all, and a few say it was terrible. The problem is that the radial nerve runs beside the radial artery, so if you miss the artery you can sometimes get the nerve. Again it all depends on the skill level of the person performing the procedure, but it truly is the most accurate way to measure the CO2 and also determine how your body is dealing with it.

Hospice will make sure she doesn't have air hunger. Morphine actually keeps that from happening. My mom had a baby monitor so the nurse could listen without hovering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back