Diagnosis
09/2013
Country
US
State
New York
City
northville
My husband has Als and was diagnosed 3 years ago. His arms are not working all and every night I need to help him turn over. He legs are still working. This is becoming tiring and wondering if anyone has any tips. My husband will not take anything to help him sleep. He wakes me at least 5 times a night and wakes more frustrated and mad. Any ideas will be great
Colleen

Colleen, we have the opposite problem--my husband's legs are done but his arms still work. Have you considered trying a low air loss mattress? I've read a number of people's posts saying that they were comfortable enough to stop turning.

Hi Colleen,

is he sleeping in a regular bed with you?

Can he tell you what the problem is at night - is he in any pain when he wakes, or does he just want to reposition?

It is at night and it is regular bed. He is in pain, and wont take anything. colleen

Thanks Colleen - I asked because there are a few reasons PALS have problems sleeping.

My Chris suffered terribly shoulder pain until he moved into a hospital bed with an alternating air mattress. We had many months of broken sleep for us both before this. Even then he didn't sleep all night. Once he accepted starting an antidepressant he began to sleep for the first time in a very long time.

There are beds that will actually turn the person through the night as well that you could possibly look into.

Massage and ROM before bed, possibly some gentle stretches can help, as can warm packs, magnesium gel or coconut oil rubs before bed.

Others will have more suggestions for you on this, but please also search in the CALS section as there are lots of threads that go here - this is a really common thing we battle!

Colleen, I found the way to get my hubby to cooperate when he balked against things ( like medicine to help him sleep!) was to present it as being something he could do for ME. Some pals think it's giving into the disease by taking sleep aids. Try asking him to do this because you are exhausted and hopefully he will step up to take care of you by this concession. Worth a try. Good luck.

I would start the process for a hospital bed as sleeping flat is harder for PALS and you will need one at some point. Meanwhile, a bed wedge, air (Roho) pillow and/or foam under the arms/wrists may help, as may pressure relief boots. There are threads on all these. The idea is to reduce stress/shear/pressure on sensitive joints and nerves.

I also recommend a latex or other foam overlay, a low voltage heated mattress pad and a medical grade foam mattress if you do not begin with alternating pressure as Tillie describes.

I don't see the point of drugs if you haven't done what you can to reduce pain. CALS: lie down flat on the carpet of your home. How long can you stay still, in one position, without pain? Could you fall and stay asleep that way? That is what your PALS feels like.

I don't see the point of drugs if you haven't done what you can to reduce pain. CALS: lie down flat on the carpet of your home. How long can you stay still, in one position, without pain? Could you fall and stay asleep that way? That is what your PALS feels like.

Great point here.

Before ALS Chris slept so soundly in our bed, and I think it's a very comfortable one - pillow overlay and then a lambswool overlay on that.
But quickly into ALS he developed a lot of pain in bed and he would say - it is like laying on a hard wooden floor.

Also, we both wondered - if laying in bed is causing pain, and you just take something to knock you out, that would not actually address the cause of the pain. So using everything you can to reduce the causes - tight muscles from wastage or spasticity, correct positioning should take you a long way in before meds are needed. "Should" being the operative word of course - but these are so worth trying before meds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back